Topic: "release Sample" Modelling Question

Just downloaded the 2.2.2 trial version, listening over headphones with my old Roland MKB-1000 midi controller and (unfortunately) on/off sustain pedal, this is a very beguiling instrument to play.  I am a violinist and often sit in our orchestra studio after hours fooling around on one of the Steinway D concert grands there.  That close feeling of involvement with the instrument is uniquely available in this modelled instrument, very impressive.  One of my students recently purchased a Bösendorfer 290 Imperial from the USA, leading to an extensive rebuild of his home!  Nice to have that kind of cash, but you still end up with just one kind of piano (but what a beauty!)—and you have to tune it etc.  That piano, by the way, has an unbelievably monstrous sound (at the moment it is housed in the new auditorium at the college his daughter attends).  It makes the very fine Yamaha C7 beside it sound like a mid-size upright!

Anyway, having purchased many sampled pianos as well, I am interested in the attempts made to capture that 'snatching' effect, mainly audible on the lower strings, when the damper felt is allowed to return to the string on key-release.  I think it is one of those many 'characteristic' sound-effects that I'm sure piano designers would love to eliminate, but of course it is part of the experience of playing a real piano.  I hear resonance effects in Pianoteq, but not this grabbing or snatching sound. 

No doubt the effect has been detected by the (amazing) Pianoteq engineers in their research.  Any thoughts on its inclusion?

Finally, I have NO IDEA how you get that pristine and complex sound from a 15MB application!  In the modelled additional instruments (CP-80, harpsichord etc) what is actually 'going on' with the file?  You are not using samples, right?  So is it just a radical manipulation of the engine parameters?  Fascinating.  Of course I don't expect you to give away any State secrets, but it really is very fascinating.

Thanks you for making such a usable demo available (not too difficult when the package is so incredibly small—bravo!).

Yours,

Stephen.

Re: "release Sample" Modelling Question

OK, I've found the "Enable Damper Noise" setting, which was already on.  I can hear the effect, but it's very subtle compared to my experience of actual instruments.  No doubt builders and technicians would dream of such good behaviour! 

To illustrate, I have made a very short recording of the lowest notes from a sample library of a large German piano (well it's Austrian actually—there, I've given it away!) which clearly displays the effect I am accustomed to:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads?f...EMO%20.mp3

Truth be told, it's more of a nuisance than anything, but again it's part of what one has learned to expect.  Maybe, for 'reality junkies' the effect could be variable?  My example shows that the effect, even allowing for same duration of note, is not equal for each key.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Re: "release Sample" Modelling Question

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your detailed explanation and audio sample. Yes, nuisances are important, and we are well aware about this string release damper noise phenomena. It is on our (long) todo list.

Regards,
Niclas