Topic: A comparison between Pianoteq 4 and Galaxy Vintage D

I have just downloaded the Pianoteq 4 trial, hooked it up to my Yamaha KX8 at the office and played the Chopin Em prelude with the default preset. (Please, dont' judge my interpretation harshly, I've recorded it in an instant, after an usual working day of software development and without any warming up whatsoever). Then I exported the file with Galaxy Vintage D as well. You can find both audio files as well as the MIDI file here:

http://debian.fmi.uni-sofia.bg/~kumanov...pt-vs-gvd/

I'll comment very shortly and will leave it to you to judge. I think Pianoteq 4 is better than previous versions in regards to metallic overtones, however at the same time it still lacks the warmth and woodiness of a real piano or samples of real piano. Listen especially to the melody in the prelude (not the chords), these are single long notes and compare both pianos. In Pianoteq there's some dullness, while in VIntage D there's warmth so to speak. I'll be happy to hear comments regarding any possible improvement in that area. You can use the MIDI file to export also with your own settings/presets which you think would approximate Vintage D.

P.S. By the way, this is a very suitable piece for testing trial versions of Pianoteq since it only has two notes affected by the limitation of the trial version

Last edited by CyberGene (23-04-2012 18:10)

Re: A comparison between Pianoteq 4 and Galaxy Vintage D

Not sure if this is right... The pianoteq mp3 was too short...

About the trebble, for a second I imagine you named the files wrong, cause the pianoteq file have the trebble tone a little bit more natural sounding than the file named Galaxy-D.

What's the point of trying to find weaker points, instead of judge as a whole ?
Pianoteq playability it's the best. The best harmonic than any other digital piano.

And about the sound tone, you have to admit that Pianoteq is really getting very close. If you don't like very small imperfections of modelled technology, you need to forget all modelled, including V-piano and physis piano too.
You said you had short time to play arround sliders, but I supose you could change hammer hardness, hammer noise, impedance and spectrum profile, for the bass range, and get a sound closer to what you want.
Pianoteq Pro allow adjust parameter alog keyboard range, like sellect a adjust for each key. No other software on Earth allow that.

Last edited by Beto-Music (23-04-2012 20:27)

I've attempted to create an fxp that produces a sound closer to your galaxy d file.

D4 Classical BA Galaxy D.fxp

Chopin - Prelude - Pianoteq 4 - new fxp.mp3

Beto-Music wrote:

Not sure if this is right... The pianoteq mp3 was too short...

I suppose your download failed. Or maybe a web server problem...

What's the point of trying to find weaker points, instead of judge as a whole ?
Pianoteq playability it's the best. The best harmonic than any other digital piano.

I am not sure that I specifically looked to imply I was trying to find only the weak points in Pianoteq. What I said is that it was fairly common perception among users that Pianoteq sounded metallic, that's why I checked whether this has changed. Pianoteq is indeed quite playable piano. However I feel equally comfortable playing both Pianoteq and Vintage D, that's why I also compare the sound. Both playability and sound are subjective and a matter of taste. However, the playability can be experienced only when one plays the instrument himself whereas the sound can be checked by downloading audio files. That's what I did here.

And about the sound tone, you have to admit that Pianoteq is really getting very close. If you don't like very small imperfections of modelled technology, you need to forget all modelled, including V-piano and physis piano too.
You said you had short time to play arround sliders, but I supose you could change hammer hardness, hammer noise, impedance and spectrum profile, for the bass range, and get a sound closer to what you want.
Pianoteq Pro allow adjust parameter alog keyboard range, like sellect a adjust for each key. No other software on Earth allow that.

That's a little bit over the edge. The fact that a modeled piano is a closer approximation to a real piano in terms of physical phenomena recreation, doesn't necessarily mean that we have to love it without any objections. I am personally a big believer in the modeled piano technology and I have been following the progress of Pianoteq since the very beginning. I've tried numerous fxp-s with the Pianoteq 3 trial, however none of them could get close in sound quality to my current reference points: Ivory Steinway and Vintage D. It's something inherent in the low-level sound synthesis that I don't like. No high-level manipulations to the sound, such as hammer hardness, string length, etc. would change that. I am afraid that I can hear the same shortcomings in Pianoteq 4 as well, however I must admit there's a definite improvement. To me personally Pianoteq gets closer to sampled libraries than ever.

Last edited by CyberGene (23-04-2012 21:29)

Qberticus wrote:

I've attempted to create an fxp that produces a sound closer to your galaxy d file.

D4 Classical BA Galaxy D.fxp

Chopin - Prelude - Pianoteq 4 - new fxp.mp3

That's not bad at all, thanks.

P.S. Well, sorry, I have to correct myself. I have just got my Sennheiser HD595-s and listened again to your recording and I can hear way too much metallic overtones... I prefer the default Pianoteq 4 sound which I have posted above. I am not sure what's wrong with your preset exactly but it sounds more like Pianoteq 3 to me

Last edited by CyberGene (23-04-2012 21:38)

CyberGene, sorry, my comment was much based in the short (few seconds) of mp3 audio of pianoteq my PC got, that now you explained that was probably a problem of my download.

I did'nt knew that both mp3 recordings had the complete performance.  That's  why I said it's wasn't right such comparisom, cause I  had suposed the short time for pianoteq was intentional.

May I ask you to put the FXP you used ?

For my recording I didn't use an external fxp. I used the default preset of Pianoteq 4. I am currently at my laptop and don't have Pianote 4 installed but I think it was something like "Classical D4 BA". I didn't change anything at all, I just installed it and played with the first preset. I tried also other presets but I like that one most. In fact, I am now listening again to my Pianoteq 4 recording and I think I like it more and more Maybe Pianoteq 4 is growing on me...

Hi Cybergene,

First of all thanks for your interesting post. I downloaded both your mp3s and also the midi file and made some comparisions.

I acctually ended up testing your midi file with my own settings that Im currently working on for the Pianotec D4.

I uploaded the results here:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...ce_k1d.mp3

I guess it all about personal flavour and taste, but this Is how I usually want to hear music from the romantic era: less bright and with more warmth and darkness.

I have two basic presets for the D4 that Im working on now, one is for playing baroque music, and the other one (heard in the example posted) is intended for romantic and modern classical music.

Hi Sundance_k1d, your preset sounds wonderful! May I ask you what modification you have done to obtain that sound? There's some very slight detuning I can hear which is not quite to my liking though. But I suppose that can be easily switched off.

Sundance_k1d wrote:

I have two basic presets for the D4 that Im working on now, one is for playing baroque music, and the other one (heard in the example posted) is intended for romantic and modern classical music.

I like the sound.   Can I assume it will be in the FXP corner when you have it developed to where you want it ?

Hi again,

Thank you !

Well, basicly im doing the same as you, using the programs ready to go preset called D4 classical BA, but ive edited the microphone positions.

Im using 4 microphones, two inside the piano in typical AB stereo but with the vol level turned down to -12. Other two microphones are with normal 0db vol lev and are placed about half meter away from the piano on each side at about chest hight.

Also in the microphone section, under "compensation" Ive set both "level" and "delay" to OFF.

Adding to that, Ive panned all 4 microphone maximum, setting the 2 left microphones vol only on left side and vice versa for right side microphones.

Then the piano lid: Ive always hated at concerts when the staff turns the grand completly open, I dont like the brightness of sound. I prefer a grand closed or semiclosed. In this setting the lid is set at its lowest open position, in centimeters - I dunno, maybe about 30 ?

Finally, Ive turned the program limiter OFF.

Im impressed that you noticed that Im using a well-tempered tuning. I prefer it myself to a completly equal. Besides my roland fp5 which I use for pianoteq I keep an old brittish upright in my home which I tune and maintain myself and I always tune it well-tempered rather then equal. Guess it all comes down to personal flavour.

Ive used several sample libraries in the past but I was never satisfied, was both sceptical of sound and playing-feel of the ones Ive tried.

Stumbled upon Pianotec at version 3. Was first very critical, then amazed.

Sorry for my poor english abilities!

Thank you CyberGene for your lovely performance. This Chopin prelude 4 is very interesting because it is both difficult to play and to have it sound correctly from a recording point of view. Those repeated chords must not get boring, they are there to support the melody which is so extremely simplified that the whole piece stands in a very fragile equilibrium.

I have uploaded in the fxp corner an fxp especially dedicated to this prelude, treating the recording point of view. The audio file was rendered using the excellent MIDI file provided by CyberGene. The starting point was D4 Classical BA. I didn’t do big changes, only small ones with the intention to give more live to the melody. Of course all this is a matter of taste, and this choice only reflects my own taste. Here are the changes (most edits are note per note):
- reduced the hammer hardness at piano level (global edit), benefits mostly to the chords, making them a bit softer
- increased the volume and the unison width in the C4 range (where the melody sits)
- increased the impedance by 10% in the C4 range to make the notes just a bit longer
- reduced the direct sound duration by about 25% in the same range (25% is maybe a bit too much), with the same purpose: augmenting the singing quality around C4.
Besides, to gain a bit intimacy, I have added some delay effect and augmented the stereo width. I hope you enjoy!

I am really excited that Guillaume dedicated some of his time to prepare a FXP for my specific needs and this particular piece of music. I have already praised his FXP and send him my appreciation in an email conversation with him, however I would like to thank him again in this thread!

Very good stuff here! So cool that Philippe is right here with us as it makes it all that more fun and interesting.
Thank you.

Last edited by Kramster (25-04-2012 13:28)

Excellent sound in Philippes version !

This supersedes my own poor attempt of an fxp by far.

Thanks for posting

If Philippe add more adjustment slider, maybe needling for the virtual hammers, it's probably he will resurrect the piano tuner profession, in a new field, digital piano tuner.

With more parameters on interface the piano models can became complex enough to require a personal piano adjuster.  Someone skilled to turn the piano sound the closest possible to the client's taste.

Seriously...  imagine if was possible to needle pianoteq key by key.
It could also be used to train real piano technicians.

Last edited by Beto-Music (25-04-2012 18:24)

It is really nice to see the effort put into PTQ 4 come to life and actually go to market.  I love a great piano sound to play and the D4 is really nice . . and all of its variations.  A robust and deep bass can be quite impressive but certainly that character is subjective from one player and piano lover to the next.

IMHO,  there is nothing subjective about the fact that the presets in PTQ 4  . .  can be altered to sound like a "4 ton"  grand piano if desired.  It is a pleasure to just play around with the individual note volume,  dynamics and then select an EQ set up.  You want it fat(?) . . . try the "FAT BASS" in the Equalizer section.

Kudos to the Pianoteq team !

Lanny Davis