Topic: Pianoteq 4 upgrade with Pro Tools 10 is CRASHING/FREEZING my PC

I just upgraded to Pianoteq 4.  When I try to use it in Pro Tools 10, it freezes my entire computer after playing for a bit.  Pianoteq 3 worked fine with Pro Tools 10.   The Pianoteq 4 standalone player works great and never freezes my PC.  I am running Pianoteq 4.0.1 and Pro Tools 10.1.2 on Windows 7.

Any ideas?  Anybody experiencing same issue?

-Dan

Last edited by dgindin (21-04-2012 20:47)

Re: Pianoteq 4 upgrade with Pro Tools 10 is CRASHING/FREEZING my PC

Which was the last pianoteq 3 version you have been using, was it 3.6.8 ?

Is your computer still freezing when you reduce the number of host processors reserved for pro tools ( pro tools "Setup" menu, "Playback engine" ) ?

Hummm can you confirm that multicore rendering is enabled in your copy of pianoteq 4 under pro tools (in the pianoteq options / perf panel) ? I have just realised that we left it enabled in the rtas plugin ( it was always disabled in ptq 3). Unfortunately multicore rendering is not at all compatible with pro tools. This will be fixed in the 4.0.2 update, meanwhile please disable multicore rendering !

Julien - Thank you for your quick reply.  Your suggestion worked perfectly.  I disabled "multicore rendering" in Pianoteq's options panel within Pro Tools.  No more PC crashes.  I now understand why Pianoteq can play more simultaneous notes via the Standalone Player using "multicore rendering" versus in ProTools where multicore is disabled.

Are there any plans to enhance your product to support multicore within ProTools?  It would make it perform more efficiently on dual-core systems.  I have to set ProTools' HW buffer size from 128 to 256 samples in order to record live tracks with Pianoteq.  This large buffer size makes it difficult to lay down a tight performance due to noticeable audio delay at 256 samples.

Thanks,

Dan

I think the issue which doesn't allow correct multicore processing is a limitation in ProTools, not Pianoteq.

Last edited by EvilDragon (22-04-2012 08:41)
Hard work and guts!

Yes, ProTools is very picky about how it allocates its cpu ressources and any plugin trying to steal too many cpu ressources in its back will wreak havoc. Avid is aware of this issue, so they may have plans to improve the situation in the future.

Having just installed the  ProTools 10.2 upgrade it is apparent that Avid haven't addressed the issue. I have a quad core (32bit Mac OS 10) and still can barely run PT4 with a 256 sample buffer. It is playable but there will always be freezes at some point. Ideally I'd like to switch to Receptor but, sadly, no version 4 available there yet.

You could also try switching DAW to a more modern one which doesn't have issues with Pianoteq.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

You could also try switching DAW to a more modern one which doesn't have issues with Pianoteq.

Ha ha! Like that's an option........