Topic: Automatically write MIDI files of everything you play

Hi,
didn't you have the experience having played something really wonderful and it was not recorded?

So I thought it might be great to have a simple MIDI recording running in the background whenever I play. Its not particularly related to Pianotec, just recording whatever is played on the external keyboard.

To MIDI file as it doesn't take much disc space. And without the need to write file names, start stop and so on, or running a big sequencer as host. Just so simple not to bother at all. Does somebody know of such a program or has any ideas how to do that?

Stefan

Re: Automatically write MIDI files of everything you play

Steinbergs Cubase 4 has retrospective record, which does exactly that.

Obviously an expensive way to achieve that, but if you were considering a recording program, Cubase should be a choice.

Other software may achieve this.

regards

Edit : Sorry, didn't read all of your post regarding not wanting to load sequencer

Hi,

sequencers, as I know them, work with a metronome to record key strokes precisely. That what bothers me also. My Kawai CN31 has a recording function which works independently from a metronome or click track. That's something I would like to have in my PC, too.

So I am also looking for a 'simple' recorder.

Rainer

you can easily disable the metronome on almost any sequencer... and don't care about the click track

This would be a nice feature. Could be selected from the Options menu: Always record a midi file.

My belated Ensoniq ZR-76 had this. It only saved a few seconds of time, but that was good. It meant that you could always just sit down and play without taking the time to press Record. Seems like such a small thing, but it was sweet.

But Ensoniq always was sweet. The best piano sounds of the time, the best interface for editing sounds and recording. I bought a KS-32 a few months ago, and I'm using it for my main controller now. The internal sounds, once edited, are still great. Many of the piano presets sound distant and terrible, by today's standards, since it only had about 3 megs of ROM, but it gives you much, much control over the amp and filter envelopes, and lets you stack multiple instances of any multisample, so you can create layers with different filter settings. The result is nothing like the presets. What a terrible shame that they went under. Imagine a keyboard designed by Modartt and Ensoniq. But I digress.

1+ for letting us have an option to always record a midi file.

Jake Johnson wrote:

This would be a nice feature. Could be selected from the Options menu: Always record a midi file.

My belated Ensoniq ZR-76 had this. It only saved a few seconds of time, but that was good. It meant that you could always just sit down and play without taking the time to press Record. Seems like such a small thing, but it was sweet.

But Ensoniq always was sweet. The best piano sounds of the time, the best interface for editing sounds and recording. I bought a KS-32 a few months ago, and I'm using it for my main controller now. The internal sounds, once edited, are still great. Many of the piano presets sound distant and terrible, by today's standards, since it only had about 3 megs of ROM, but it gives you much, much control over the amp and filter envelopes, and lets you stack multiple instances of any multisample, so you can create layers with different filter settings. The result is nothing like the presets. What a terrible shame that they went under. Imagine a keyboard designed by Modartt and Ensoniq. But I digress.

1+ for letting us have an option to always record a midi file.

You are so right about Ensoniq
I'm still crazy about my old Ensoniq SQ80 and my TS12 allso but the TS12 is only used as controller for my software now.
Ensoniq allways had the best interface on a synth if you ask me. :-)
very easy and logical to work with.

I've never heard the TS12 piano. Do you have an mp3 that you could post that shows the piano in an exposed setting?

Weren't the TS10 and TS12 considered fairly astonishing at the time? An amazing 6 megs devoted to just the piano? (At a time when many keyboards had about 6-10 megs of ROM for all of the sounds.) It lets you load samples, too, doesn't it? But slowly?

I just realized that Cantabile has this feature. To find it, look about 2/3 of the way down the interface near the left. It's the first button beside Audio Recorder.