Topic: Sound output problem on Mac

My USB powered monitors broke just before I downloaded Pianoteq so I've been playing through headphones.

The new speakers arrived today so I was looking forward to seeing how Pianoteq sounded but I just can't get Pianoteq to use the USB speakers.

I've set the sound output to USB in System prefs and Pianoteq is set to use Core Audio: Builit-in Output (no other options make any sound at all) but the sound still comes out of the built in (nasty, tinny) speaker.

Every other audio app I have is using the USB speakers correctly, Garageband, Quicktime, iTunes, RealPlayer, DVD Player but the standalone version of Pianoteq stubbornly refuses to use them.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Re: Sound output problem on Mac

I'd say you should set the the output in Pianoteq to the USB speakers...
If you set Pianoteq to Core-Audio: built-in it will definitely only use the standard speakers....

What machine are you using it on?
I use it on a G5 PPC that works ok through all outputs - basic, USB and ADAT-card...

I have not tried on my MacBookPro yet - that is IntelMac - don't know if that could be different???

Hans

I'm using an Intel Mac Pro, maybe that's the problem. The USB speakers don't show as an option in Pianoteq Maybe I should contact support?

Thanks for helping out again!

Just tried with a set of USB headphones on my MacBookPro - it shows up within Pianoteq and makes sound thru them as well ...

I'm running OSX 10.4.11 on that one and on my G5 as well...
are you on Leopard already? Could that be it???

Hans

Yes I'm running 10.5.1, thanks for checking on your Macbook Pro! I'll send the details to Support, maybe they can figure it out.

Ta!

No worries...
Hope they can sort it out!

Hans

Sometimes if I start up with my x-station (USB audio interface) disconnected, my macbook will revert to internal speakers. Plugging the x-station in doesn't reset that, so I use Audio MIDI Setup to change the settings. Audio MIDI Setup is in your Utilities folder.

Thanks Doug, I just set it up in Audio Midi Setup but it's made no difference to Pianoteq. The speakers are working with every other audio app so I'm pretty sure the problem is in Pianoteq somewhere.

Forgive me if you've already been here. I'm assuming you're using the standalone Pianoteq. Go to Preferences... under the Pianoteq menu and click "Change Audio Configuration"

And your USB speakers don't show?

Cheers Doug, yup done all that, the speakers don't appear in the list.

Have you tried hitting it something large and hard?

Probably not ideal, but you can play it from inside GarageBand.

LOL Yeah I came close to beating it repeatedly with the cat (who is large but not especially hard) but I managed to control the impulse!

You're right though, at the moment I am playing through Garageband, ta!

Do your other stand-alone audio programs show\play through the new monitors? If not, could the problem be that you need to set the computer to route the sound to the speakers? Are there drivers that might need to be loaded, in other words, and the the system set to use those drivers? (Sorry to be so vague--not a Mac user.)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (06-02-2008 18:17)

Yup every other audio app I have works through the USB speakers.