Re: Pianoteq 4 foretaste

Well said Michael! I remember a few years back when I first [accidently] stumbled upon PianoTeq. Since then, I have enjoyed all that Modartt have accomplished. I for one shall be more than happy to invest the upgrade fee in this company 1. because I think it's worth it, and 2. because Modartt truly deserve it!

Congratulations Modartt, BETA testers, forum contributors and PianoTeq customers.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (30-11-2011 07:18)

One thing I would like changed is the ability to have a few global controls. Correct me if I am wrong but if I change the soft pedal setting, then I have to change it for all instruments, whereas if I had the choice to set it once and leave it for all instruments it would make life easier. I know I can save the setting for each instrument but I prefer not to do that.

KindredSpirit wrote:

One thing I would like changed is the ability to have a few global controls. Correct me if I am wrong but if I change the soft pedal setting, then I have to change it for all instruments, whereas if I had the choice to set it once and leave it for all instruments it would make life easier. I know I can save the setting for each instrument but I prefer not to do that.

Hi,
I believe the "freeze parameters" feature is your answer (it's the check-mark left of the "random" button).
I wonder why people keep missing this great feature. These questions keep coming up again and again. It's in the FAQ, by the way...
Perhaps there should be a Q/A section in the forum like "Yahoo! Answers" where users can ask other users, and rate the best answers... just a thought. (Of course, I wouldn't like it to diverge Modartt's development, but it might reduce support in the long run).

Best regards,
Eran

Last edited by etalmor (01-12-2011 09:01)
M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Sounds rather nice, my one year worth of free upgrades will probably be over tho and I will surely donate some cash to various OSS projects first..

http://sharpattack.bandcamp.com/ my very own one man band project

Those clips are fairly shorts, but i think it's the first time i don't hear the pianoteq "signature" in them (that's a good thing IMHO).

Dear sirs. My Congratulations for your good work. I would like to add my request for the new version of Pianoteq. I love this product (bought the standard version and the Electric add on) but....unfortunately I have to say that I love it in a SOLO context. Using it in a live band (a Jazz quartet) I am not able to obtain the RIGHT sound: listening to the sound coming out from the mixer it seems the same as if a blanket has been put on the top of the speakers. The sound appears muffled and I am not able to tweek the software enought (velocity curve, microphones, type of piano)  to obtain the brilliance and the dynamics I need to emerge from the mix. I had the same behaviour in more than one studio.

This appears to be much more evident for the medium/low notes then the high ones.

So it would be wonderful if for the next version we could have also this improvement.
Thank you very much.

This "foretaste" thread is getting a little long-in-the-tooth isn't it ?

Is there any indication of when (or IF) version 4 is near ?

Not particularly. But next year sounds reasonable.

Hard work and guts!

Philippe Guillaume wrote:
rlburnside wrote:

let us know if there will be an upgrade path for 3.x owners so we can start saving up

Yes, we will offer an attractive upgrade path. Our most recent customers will get the upgrade for free according to the sales conditions.

..and never forget the RECEPTOR-users... like me :-)))

i really hope pianoteq 4 is a major advance. its a great idea, and i would love to buy it as it has zero velocity switching and also a nice user interface. however in its current form, it does not sound good at all. artificial thin, use whatever adjective you may wish. i think if they crack it with 4, sales figures will grow enormously!

"Thin" is Pianoteq 2. Pianoteq 3 is a LOOOOT better. Does not sound thin nor artificial at all. It has presence, it has the decay, it has the timbre. Everything much better than Pianoteq 2 ever was. People are asking me which magical samples I'm using for that awesome piano sound, and I just say "hey, it's not samples at all!"

So, if the advancement that happened from v2 to v3 is any sign, you should brace yourself because you're gonna crap your pants, in the most positive sense of that saying!

Last edited by EvilDragon (29-12-2011 23:37)
Hard work and guts!

it is pianoteq 3 that i tested. if you and other people are happy with it, great! but it sounds artificial to me compared to a real piano or to a lesser extent, a gem rpx or roland supernatural. from a technical point, to get all that mechanical noise and harmonic intensity from the initial hammer strike, without sampling, is a major problem. even with quad core cpu's, latency would probably need be high to achieve satisfactory authenticity.  it is a great technical exercise off big minds. i hope i am proved wrong with 4 !

It's funny you should say, I was never really amazed by the sound and behavior of Roland's pianos... "Supernatural" isn't quite the word that describes it well IMHO. Not even the V-Piano, which is absolutely terribly overpriced for what it is.

But OK. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one.

Last edited by EvilDragon (30-12-2011 10:14)
Hard work and guts!

yes the roland supernatural. from one octave above middle c onwards, the notes decay away far to quickly and sounds nothing likes it name. but below that point, i thought it was very impressive and much much better than the v piano, which again sounds synthetic. although i think the v piano sounds better than pianoteq 3, its price is ridiculous especially considering the rd700nx has the same keyboard and sounds much better. well i think we can both agree that we hope 4 is much better than all of the above !

Last edited by red (30-12-2011 13:31)

I think red is right, Pianoteq has major problem with attack, which is perhaps the most complicated thing to get right with modeling. I am not a technician or psychoacoustical expert but I can imagine two very basic things: acoustic phenomenon at the very first moment is very complex and also our perceptual system is adapted to hear many many nuances in the beginning of sounds.

I've been resently wondering that perhaps the hybrid technology (combining sampling in the attack and modeling with sustain and resonances) might be the easiest way to get the most realistic pianosound. In fact Roland supernatural pianos are example of this.

Pianoteq has improved a lot and probably v4 will continue this development. When I read this forum, I cannot help seeing same thing again and again: classical oriented players favor this sound which is something close what you can hear in classical recording; acoustic piano sound recorded in natural acoustics from distance. In fact it's something you won't get from most sample libraries. This piano sound is more about whole instrument, resonances and acoustic space and NOT so much about the attack. On the other hand most PTQ critics (which are often new users or demoing this software) are after closely recorded pop/rock/jazz -piano sound in which the attack and hammer sound is very much present. Think this is the kind of a problem here: PTQ is modeled sound, (almost) everything can be adjusted, so it promises to give you infinite amount of different piano sounds (which it does indeed), but still it cannot convincingly provide you something which is very familiar to many ears: closely recorded modern grand with punchy attack. Now, some people here will say, that this is not realistic piano sound, it's not something you'll hear in front of a REAL grand. Still I'd say that this is realism to many and in fact in my opinion some Yamaha grand in dry acoustics in players perspective can be very close to it...

I had Roland RD-700gx with Supernatural expansion, which was a great improvement over gx without it. Maybe even better than V-piano. Still I felt that sound was kind of muddy and not enough present especially on stage. So I changed my RD to Nord Piano which I haven't regret. Nord sounds very close recorded, maybe even too much, but for sure it will cut through mix. Recently I have experimented with mixing Nord with PTQ. Nord gives me very punchy attack, PTQ gives me more body to the bottom, more sustain and all the resonances. Best of both worlds...? Maybe I'll do my next recording with this combination...

This been said, I still love PTQ and its uncompromising philosophy.

Last edited by Ecaroh (30-12-2011 23:39)

Could that be a recording with a v4-beta?

http://www.hermode.com/html/hermode-tun...es_de.html

This site is about a tuning system, which canges dynamically to get pure intervalls. A new feature?

Last edited by Experimentor (31-12-2011 11:10)

Experimentor wrote:

Could that be a recording with a v4-beta?

I hope not, the ones I listened to sounded terrible!

yes im with bazc on that.

That sounds like Pianoteq 2 there.

Hard work and guts!

The audio examples from the Hermode Tuning site are not issued from the Pianoteq version 4 in preparation. The only version 4 audio examples currently available are those two linked at the top of this thread.

I wonder about the use of the word "attack." Is it the attack--the moment that the hammer hits the strings--that is the worry? Sometimes I do worry about the attack needing to be more the sound of a long felt hammer hitting the strings.

But I also sometimes wonder if I want more of the bloom right after the attack. It may be a standing wave, or sets of waves, created when the reverberated note (the set of partials) meets the vibrations still coming from the soundboard and strings.

But trying to describe such a complex sound is difficult. Would it be better if we posted an mp3 of a note from a recording that sounds good to us and the same note in PT, so that we could all listen to and discuss the specific qualities of a specific note, instead of speaking in generalities?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (03-01-2012 06:44)

Jake Johnson wrote:

But trying to describe such a complex sound is difficult. Would it be better if we posted an mp3 of a note from a recording that sounds good to us and the same note in PT, so that we could all listen to and discuss the specific qualities of a specific note, instead of speaking in generalities?

It is hard to describe a sound, maybe the piano on this link by Norm Hastings has the attack sound?:
http://www.normhastingsmusic.com/videos.html

Maybe its more of a dynamic range that is being describe.

Last edited by DonSmith (03-01-2012 11:21)

DonSmith wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

It is hard to describe a sound, maybe the piano on this link by Norm Hastings has the attack sound?:
http://www.normhastingsmusic.com/videos.html

Maybe its more of a dynamic range that is being describe.

Well, I like those old hymns, but the reverb on those recordings makes it hard for me to hear the envelope of the notes. I was thinking more along the lines of people posting dry mp's of individual notes that had the quality or qualities that they wanted. From there, we could all do an analysis in the many sound programs that I'm sure that we all have, and possibly edge closer to defining what is wanted.

Not to ignore what you say about dynamics. But could that subject be better explored with, say, an mp3 or wave of a desired soft strike and then a desired hard strike? Given that we are discussing physics, any given phenomenon should be reproducible and open to modelling, but first we all need to isolate precisely what people want to hear.

I must say that I've been down this road before--of asking people on other forums to post notes that have the exact sound that they want. However, the result has been that they never respond or post mp3's of passages that make a note by note analysis impossible. Don, my hope is that you and others will instead post these individual, dry recordings of single notes. Given the number of people interested in this subject here and their combined knowledge of sound and pianos, the tools that we have, and the wonderful expertise of Modartt, the results could be very productive.

when the hammer hits the string, that is the most complex waveform is terms of the total amount of harmonics generated and their associated individual envelopes. taking into account the soundboard is also simultaneously vibrating in sympathy in multiple directions the waveform is extremely complex from the beginning to the end. the maths is very very complex and to create the code to simulate it is an amazing achievement. then again, the pianoteq team are all top of the field mathematical academics. i still think that the sheer complexity of the sound is beyond most current cpu's in real time, and that they are having to work within the parameters of the average cpu, which means sound compromise. for me i just want a steinway model D. so no mp3's required as their recordings are ubiquitous.

Last edited by red (03-01-2012 19:58)

red wrote:

when the hammer hits the string, that is the most complex waveform is terms of the total amount of harmonics generated and their associated individual envelopes. taking into account the soundboard is also simultaneously vibrating in sympathy in multiple directions the waveform is extremely complex from the beginning to the end. the maths is very very complex and to create the code to simulate it is an amazing achievement. then again, the pianoteq team are all top of the field mathematical academics. i still think that the sheer complexity of the sound is beyond most current cpu's in real time, and that they are having to work within the parameters of the average cpu, which means sound compromise. for me i just want a steinway model D. so no mp3's required as their recordings are ubiquitous.

If what you say is true, especially as regards current CPU's not having enough capability, then as some have suggested, hybrid sound may be the answer for now, with samples being used for the attack portion and initial onset of tone, and modelling thereafter.

Mostly what I've come across is that samples become static and dead sounding AFTER the attack, as the tone develops. And Pianoteq takes care of tonal development over time very well.

Pianoteq 3 is still not using the full available power of today's 4- or 6-core (with HyperThreading) i7 Sandy Bridge (and incoming Ivy Bridge) CPUs.

That might raise a few eyebrows. An  i7 CPU can run a single Pianoteq instance constantly running 256 poly with tons of sustained bass notes, without breaking any sweat (in fact, I believe it can run at least FOUR of such instances, that's 1024 notes of polyphony!). At a low latency. So... Modartt - why not utilize this great power for even more detailed (instead of "reduced to play on low-spec computers") models, especially for the attacks?

I firmly believe that if Modartt were to do that, everybody would just shut up and listen at the new superiority Pianoteq offers, and there would be no more whining about how attacks aren't this or that.

The only current VST plugin that brings even those i7 CPUs down to their knees is u-he Diva. And for a good reason - it does numerical integration with prediction per audio sample, to calculate zero-feedback-delay filters in realtime. And it sounds abso-freaking-lutely amazing!

Last edited by EvilDragon (03-01-2012 21:00)
Hard work and guts!

well the problem is either, insufficiently sophisticated algorithms to accurately model every aspect of a pianos behaviour irrespective of the number of cpu cores and clock speeds available. or, if a basic cpu was an ivybridge 8 core running at 5 ghz philippe and his team could throw everything at it and it would sing to every bodies total delight.

If they DO already have algorithms, but they can't be run in real time yet, then they could in theory let us have them,  in the understanding that we would only be able to render in non real-time.  Perhaps we could start up one of those worldwide projects that uses idle compute power on everyone's PC - surely Pianoteq rendering is more important than looking for extraterrestrial life. 

Greg.

hahahahahaha skip. yes record your pianoteq performance as midi data, then press the render button, come back the next day, and it sounds like a steinway model D well that would prove the hardware is the problem and not the software! defo the aliens can wait a bit longer;)

Last edited by red (04-01-2012 00:02)

Another possibility is that although the most powerful can run more complex algorithms, "most powerful" doesn't include the many laptops and less powerful machines that are used by gigging musicians - and owned by many on this forum.

I wonder if "red's" first comment may not shed some light:

When the hammer hits the strings, there is much complexity and the tone is transient.

The hammer hits at about 1/7th the string length (which doesn't seem to be a nodal point for clean harmonics); the string then "wants" to vibrate in its own nodalities - which are likely different - which means there is a constantly changing tone during this transition.   Then to this, add that the sound board "wants" to vibrate in its own fashion - which must affect the vibrations of the string to some extent, as they are physically coupled.

I no longer wonder why the tone of even a single piano note changes in character throughout its duration.  Now, let's depress the damper pedal, and run an arpeggio.

Glenn

I have the feeling that if Moddart had found the way to compute the extremely complex attack portion of the sound (especially the low notes) they allso would give it to us.
As EvilDragon says, allready now we can run Pianoteq with massive polyphony with no problems, so there is actually spare cpu left for a better attack.
The attack portion in Pianoteq has allway been the weak part (i think) but the most important one for people to believe in the sound they hear.

it's no mystery Roland D50 became so popular using a very short sampled attack part combine with straight "analog" synthesis for the sustain part because the human ear recognize a sound from the very fist part they hear and become more relaxed with the rest (sustain)

About posting recordings of those desired notes...

olepro wrote:

I have the feeling that if Moddart had found the way to compute the extremely complex attack portion of the sound (especially the low notes) they allso would give it to us.
As EvilDragon says, allready now we can run Pianoteq with massive polyphony with no problems, so there is actually spare cpu left for a better attack.

And in fact Modart guys have said it in some earlier thread: there's no secret "PTQ supermodel" waiting for us to have faster processors.

olepro wrote:

The attack portion in Pianoteq has allway been the weak part (i think) but the most important one for people to believe in the sound they hear.

it's no mystery Roland D50 became so popular using a very short sampled attack part combine with straight "analog" synthesis for the sustain part because the human ear recognize a sound from the very fist part they hear and become more relaxed with the rest (sustain)

Very true. This is why it's so important and challenging also to model it. How much this attack plays role in identifying different piano models also? IMO for example steinway has a special "thunk" in the attack. Could you identify Steinway, Bosendorfer, Yamaha etc. if you listened to sounds without attacks?

Clear, punchy attack gives presence and clarity which is something that most of us are after for. We don't want to have muddy old upright for our first choise piano. IMO somehow Roland engineers have done quite good work with attack with V-piano. So maybe it's not that difficult after all. Although sometimes I've even wondered that maybe they cheat us: perhaps they use samples in the attack (like they use in Supernatural pianos)?! This paranoid hypothesis is difficult to test, cause V-piano cannot moved like PTQ. It's always closely recorded piano sound. If it's completely modeled (like they say), IMO it does this sound quite well.

I think it's safe to say that we're all hoping that those characteristics that define an individual piano as being real, whether it be the attack or some other undefined elements of tone, will become available to us in software sometime soon.

Right now, as good as it is, and that's quite good, Pianoteq sounds generic to me, not like any specific type of piano, and therefore not quite real. And it's been quite a long wait for a new version, so there's a lot of anticipation.

If we are not to be disappointed, then realistically, what improvements should we expect to see in the next version? More realism, I would hope, but how much? Will it be an appetizer, or a main course?

I can hear the Yamaha signature in the YC5, especially in the bass registers. Unfortunately, I don't particularly like the Yamaha tone (even in real ones) in the bass registers, but hey, it's a start!

Greg.

Hi Philippe,
I prefer the K1 for classical literature. The middle register and upper register are beautiful, clean and expressive. The lower register seems a bit 'unnatural (such as sound quality and how to approach the other registers).
These impressions are for comparison with VSL Vienna Imperial (100 layers), which now seems more believable to me (even if you can not use the half-pedal ...).
Anyway, I'm sure that Pianoteq can compete on par or even better in future releases. Good luck and best wishes for version 4 ... The audio demo of version 4 are very interesting (especially the bass sounds of Beethoven Op111).
Elia

Ecaroh wrote:

... classical oriented players favor this sound which is something close what you can hear in classical recording; acoustic piano sound recorded in natural acoustics from distance. In fact it's something you won't get from most sample libraries. This piano sound is more about whole instrument, resonances and acoustic space and NOT so much about the attack. On the other hand most PTQ critics (which are often new users or demoing this software) are after closely recorded pop/rock/jazz -piano sound in which the attack and hammer sound is very much present.

That describes my preference to a T.  I'm often after a close-miced sound, and the important thing there is 'character'.  Most of the PT presets sound incredibly weak and generic to me.  As you said, this may be perfect for far-miced classical music, but not for what I care about (rock, ballad & jazz type sounds, not necessarily super-powerful or aggressive, but emotive and that requires character).  I also find the presets too 'pure', i.e perfectly tuned and as a result often boring.  'Character' is often found in imperfections, I would love to see much more control over those (eg. more complex detuning and 'aging' type params).

I've managed to get quite a lot of usable sounds out of PT3 with programming, but there's still a slight synthetic thinness to them that I'm never 100% satisfied with.  I love PT for what it's great at - sheer enjoyable & realistic playability - we just need that extra layer of complexity.

I would have no problem if this was achieved with samples in a hybrid model, in fact doesn't PT already use hammer samples, as well as pedal noises etc?  As someone who programs their sounds, I would also really need some way to customise and tweak those portions, for example I find the current hammer sounds a bit too one-dimensional.  If they were more heavily multi-sampled, and you could also tweak them as heavily as other parts (eg. by applying EQ to the samples, using sample crossfading etc.) I'm sure I could get close to perfect sounds even without a massively complex new model.

Can't wait for PT4 : ).

Last edited by ReBased (08-01-2012 13:30)

I hesitated adding to this thread, but I think Ecaroh (and ReBased) are having a correct analysis of Ptq's weakness in the attack portion of the sound.

As much as I like Pianoteq, I have always been critical of this point too. I think the current attack is quite correct for some repertoire (mostly classical fast virtuosic playing with far-micing), a lot of real piano recordings sound just like that, but fails in close micing and melody outlining, something more common in jazz and romantic music.

There has been recent demos of Roland's V-Piano, that although they sound slightly more artificial than Pianoteq to me, do have that closely recorded attack.

For example see this thread : http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthre...V-Pia.html

A good example amongst others: http://www.box.com/s/ho6sufuim3d334db7dpu

Roland says the attack is fully modelled, and I tend to believe them because I can always picture a real hammer in these demos. One thing that makes me believe the modelling is the blooming of the note just after the strike. This is absent in Pianoteq. I don't think a hybrid approach could produce this bloom.

For example, I combined using a simple crossfade the first 100 msec of a sample (Sampletekk's Black Grand) with a C3 (the preset) note minus the first 100 msec and although the attack portion is audibly (and visibly) slightly better, there is no such bloom in the result.

Here is the example: First the straight C3 sound then the BG, then the combination I did:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/uploads.p...attack.mp3

This is not meant as a glorification of the V-Piano, I think they are not in the same price league for one reason, and also the continuous part in Pianoteq is more realistic to my ear, as well as the tweakability that is far superior (yes, you can transform it in an imperfect instrument quite easily)

I'm really guessing here, but I think the generality of Pianoteq's model might be the problem. What other software can produce along with piano all those other percussion and bell instruments with such realism. I think struck percussions and plucked instruments as harpsichords are rendered quite well with a common general approach that probably automatically extracts the attack portion and models the continuous sound. Piano attack, though, is in a class by itself, since the attack influences the continuous sound in such a complex way.

Some instruments, like organ, can be perfectly rendered with samples since the speaking portion of the pipe would be hard to model, but easy to capture by sampling and the steady portion can be looped without problem. I think modelling is the right approach for piano since the continuous state is so complex, but the very important attack portion needs to be modelled too for completely satisfactory results.

Gilles wrote:

There has been recent demos of Roland's V-Piano, that although they sound slightly more artificial than Pianoteq to me, do have that closely recorded attack.
<snip>
A good example amongst others: http://www.box.com/s/ho6sufuim3d334db7dpu

That's fascinating.  At first I was horrified by how lifeless the ring-out is - Pianoteq is miles better, it can really sing (unlike this demo) and I've always loved it for that.  But I also see what you mean about the realistic hammer sound.  It's especially marked in a couple of instances where the note is retriggered in quick succession, it really sounds mechanical & the intermediate partial string dampening and re-excitation is very convincing.  It's not perfect but shows huge potential.

I don't think a hybrid approach could produce this bloom.

For example, I combined using a simple crossfade the first 100 msec of a sample (Sampletekk's Black Grand) with a C3 (the preset) note minus the first 100 msec and although the attack portion is audibly (and visibly) slightly better, there is no such bloom in the result.

Again fascinating.  I see what you mean by bloom, and your demo is certainly poorer for the lack of it.  But on the other hand, the 'character' is massively improved by your added attack sample.  So from that I'd say you're right, the attack is hugely important, it conveys a lot of the 'body' and construction of the instrument - all that mechanical organic one-of-a-kind stuff I'm looking for.  And the post-strike bloom would also be very welcome.

EDIT: actually listening to it again, I'm no longer sure that it's just about the attack.  It gives you more of the instrument character for sure, but the string ringout probably has to convey the same character to be convincing (after all it's supposed to vibrate in the same 'body').  So it probably does require a more complex model.

Thanks for posting these, without audio references it's hard to know if we are discussing the same things.

Last edited by ReBased (08-01-2012 17:33)

I also agree on these latest posts, the attack has an enormous effect on sound identification and that this is where pianoteq is the most lacking. Like others I find it being abit dull, lifeless and lacking in character. I do hope this will be improved in version 4, unfortunately the samples are of the lots of room/distant miced kind so they don't say much about the attack characteristics of the instrument itself. And as other also has pointed, PT does an incredibly good job at classical stuff, not so good for jazz/rock/pop stuff.. Unfortunately for me the former isn't my sort kind music(yet) there aren't really any other options in the linux world tho...

http://sharpattack.bandcamp.com/ my very own one man band project

ReBased wrote:

I also find the presets too 'pure', i.e perfectly tuned and as a result often boring.  'Character' is often found in imperfections, I would love to see much more control over those (eg. more complex detuning and 'aging' type params).

Agree.  This is where randomizing a number of parameters is useful.

I don't use a single preset that is not randomized to some extent.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

Agree.  This is where randomizing a number of parameters is useful.
I don't use a single preset that is not randomized to some extent.

Same here, I don't have Pro but I typically randomize note tuning a little and also detune unisons a bit.  However I'd like to randomize all over the place, for example randomize unisons without detuning the note.  I think the model itself would also benefit from lots of little dynamic randomization of all kinds of parameters (if it doesn't already).

I'd also like to see a simple 'Age' slider in the standard version that actually affects all kinds of things.  For example, random per-note hammer & dampener deterioration, random note and partial detuning etc.  And in the Pro version you could of course tweak each one separately (I've never tried Pro, I don't know how much control it currently gives you).

Last edited by ReBased (09-01-2012 11:30)

ReBased wrote:

I'd also like to see a simple 'Age' slider in the standard version that actually affects all kinds of things.  For example, random per-note hammer & dampener deterioration, random note and partial detuning etc.  And in the Pro version you could of course tweak each one separately (I've never tried Pro, I don't know how much control it currently gives you).

In the Pro version, all individually accessible parameters can be randomized note by note (as well as smoothed and rescaled).

Here is the list of available parameters for a piano preset: Detune, Unison Width, Direct Sound Duration, Hammer Hardness Piano Mezzo and Forte, Spectrum Profile, Hammer Noise, Strike Point, Impedance, Cutoff, Q Factor, String Length, Note Resonance, Quadratic Effect, Damper Position, Damping Duration, Mute, Damper Noise, Key Release Noise, Volume.

Automatic "aging" is probably best left to individual choices, but I think the factory C3 Worn-out preset is a pretty good starting point as to what parameters are important.

Last edited by Gilles (09-01-2012 14:59)

Sorry to go little OT, but few more words about V-piano:

Roland V-piano, like most others, isn't very fairly evaluated just by listening to its demos. Especially if those are mp3s. In my opinion, V-piano should be tested by playing and preferably listening with good headphones. I've done that and to my ears and to my fingers it was quite impressive as modeled piano. I wouldn't put over 5000euros for that, but if somebody would sell it for 2500e, I'd probably consider. I know very well two professional pianists who have bought it and both still say it was worth of money. In fact all of them say the same: basic sound isn't that amazing, it's good but you can hear it has some typical Roland-quality but it gives you a great playing feeling. All they say that they play much better with V-piano than with other digital pianos. One of the best jazz pianists in Finland made a soolo piano tour with it and I'd guess that he wouldn't have done it with any other digital piano. So in my opinion, you shouldn't evaluate V-piano just by its sound; it's the whole packet from its keyboard touch to final sound.

I have Nord Piano as my main digital piano: it has very good sample libraries from Steiway to Bosie and Yamaha. It hasn't any latency (after used to it, I feel latency with all the other pianos, including V-piano). It has very realistic pedal with all the noises and even string resonance. I just wish it had better keyboard and better playing feeling. So this is the half of it: how well you can express yourself with it? Can you make it to your instrument? This is where modeling is most promising. But in my opinion this adjustability should also include giving you everything between very close, very clear, very punchy to all these distant and misty piano sounds.

Last edited by Ecaroh (09-01-2012 20:49)

Gilles wrote:

Here is the list of available parameters for a piano preset: Detune, Unison Width, Direct Sound Duration, Hammer Hardness Piano Mezzo and Forte, Spectrum Profile, Hammer Noise, Strike Point, Impedance, Cutoff, Q Factor, String Length, Note Resonance, Quadratic Effect, Damper Position, Damping Duration, Mute, Damper Noise, Key Release Noise, Volume.

Nice thanks.

Automatic "aging" is probably best left to individual choices, but I think the factory C3 Worn-out preset is a pretty good starting point as to what parameters are important.

Disagree, I think a generic 'Age' slider would be ideal for the standard version.  Of course even more control would be nice, but PT is clearly designed to keep a clean and simple(ish) UI - there isn't much space left, and an Age slider would be a neat way to expose a complex feature in a simple way.

Of course in Pro you can tweak all you want.

Ecaroh wrote:

Roland V-piano, like most others, isn't very fairly evaluated just by listening to its demos. Especially if those are mp3s. In my opinion, V-piano should be tested by playing and preferably listening with good headphones.

I take your point, in as much that I'm sure the piano models can be tweaked, and a particular demo may not use the sounds or settings I would use - so a single demo isn't necessarily representative of what it's capable of.

However, I don't agree that an MP3 isn't sufficient if you care about using piano in recordings.  If you're more interesting in playing, then you have a point, but I'm interested in recording and if it sounds wrong in an MP3 (even though that's a lossy format which won't capture all the nuances), I'll probably not like it to record with either.

V-Piano and its "great playing feeling"... that's the point. I just recorded a maestro (a real one!) playing Beethoven sonatas on a (as real) grand Yamaha and he complained about nuances he couldn't get as he could on his (own!) Steinway "D"... And he was right. Well, PianoTeq is also made for pianists, real players, and that's the most important thing for me! It makes ALL the difference with sampled pianos. Now, if even the sound (included the attack, of course!) could be improved in v4... ;-)
As it is now, I ALWAYS record with PianoTeq and if the producer is not happy, I switch the MIDI file on whatever sampled piano, I don't care which one, but I couldn't record (= play!) on another one than PianoTeq, except my own grand !
Just my very own opinion, of course!

Luc Henrion wrote:

V-Piano and its "great playing feeling"... that's the point. I just recorded a maestro (a real one!) playing Beethoven sonatas on a (as real) grand Yamaha and he complained about nuances he couldn't get as he could on his (own!) Steinway "D"... And he was right. Well, PianoTeq is also made for pianists, real players, and that's the most important thing for me! It makes ALL the difference with sampled pianos. Now, if even the sound (included the attack, of course!) could be improved in v4... ;-)
As it is now, I ALWAYS record with PianoTeq and if the producer is not happy, I switch the MIDI file on whatever sampled piano, I don't care which one, but I couldn't record (= play!) on another one than PianoTeq, except my own grand !
Just my very own opinion, of course!

Hello Luc,

Your quote (about Pianoteq being made for pianists, real players, and that's the most important thing for you) rang so true for me that I simply had to chime in and agree with you.

I agree that in time Pianoteq has the potential for being the "go-to" virtual piano for all types of musical tastes and playing styles.  I also agree that the attacks and degree of "bloom" will become even better in time;  for now, I feel at one with my copy of Pianoteq and it fulfills all of my classical piano repertoire wishes.  (Of course, your mileage may vary, and I would hope that everyone continues to offer comments and suggestions for improving this marvelous product.)

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by jcfelice88keys (13-01-2012 19:38)

I agree with most of the previous comments about PianoTeq's lack of convincing attack, and that both a realistic attach with convincing "bloom" would be a very welcomed improvement in PQ 4.

The 2nd part is connection between touch and sound i.e. the feel:

Ecaroh wrote:

it gives you a great playing feeling. All they say that they play much better with V-piano than with other digital pianos

Couldn't agree more! It would be great if Modartt could add velocity settings (tweaked and tested) for various DPs to properly get that connection between keys and sound (similar to Nord's tweaks on their Nord Piano)... I know we can edit the velocity curve in PQ3 but after few attempts (using the demo) i just couldn't get a natural connection between keyboard and PQ3...

@safari70

I must say that there's no better and more precise velocity adjustment tool than one you have with PTQ.

If you cannot get natural feeling with it, I can think few possibilities:

Sound itself has not enough dynamics (or has too much). I have had this feeling with some PTQ presets. I mean that for example if you hit hard, you won't get this metallic attack that you would like to hear. If it is in preset, adjusting velocity won't help. Perhaps you should try hammer hardness instead for example.

Latency. If your sound system has latency, it won't feel natural no matter how much you adjust velocity curve. After adapting my playing with my Nord Piano, I feel latency everywhere...

BTW what keyboard did you try to use with PTQ?