Topic: Pianoteq 4 foretaste

Dear all,

Some of you have been asking about Pianoteq 4. We are currently working very hard on it and we hope to have it ready in the next few months. In the meanwhile, here is a short foretaste: http://www.pianoteq.com/download?file=predemo-op111.mp3
Sorry for not being able to provide more details for the moment.

EDIT: second audio clip posted below, same piano model but using other settings and mic position: http://www.pianoteq.com/download?file=p...ngreen.mp3.

Re: Pianoteq 4 foretaste

Oh, this is good news!

Yupii

Fine... I wonder wether if it would be possible with the next pianoteq to insert in the .wav file the PQ codes and of course ISRC code inside. By that way we could have the virtual piano and the mastering also. Regards, PA.

YES! A SIGN! I Feel so much better already...demo sounds good That's Pianoteq alright!!

Keegan

This demo reminds me of those short movie trailers that don't really reveal anything about the characters / plot, just set the mood and do a really good job at getting you excited with very little material, especially if it's a movie you've been waiting a long time for!

Keegan

Thanks Phillipe for this kind teaser,

Certainly it shows a lot of subtleties, depth, and character.
Sounds great.

We'll keep waiting patiently for this kid, give it loving homes when it arrives

Regards,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

Dear all,

Some of you have been asking about Pianoteq 4. We are currently working very hard on it and we hope to have it ready in the next few months. In the meanwhile, here is a short foretaste: http://www.pianoteq.com/downloads/predemo-op111.mp3

What a tease! 
Sounds great, can we have a longer segment?
Will the current instruments get a reworking? I say no rush, take your time.

OK, the segment was a bit short... here is another one, just a little bit longer, with the same piano model but using other settings and mic position for a different kind of music: http://www.pianoteq.com/download?file=p...ngreen.mp3.

By the short samples, of the NOT READY YET version 4 of pianoteq, I noticed:

The bass sounds more organic and deeper with dynamic grandious feeling.
The middle range also sounded somewhat improved.

Philippe, may I ask if the positive changes version 4 in sound quality are only for the new models of piano, or if all anterior models got improved somehow ?

New soundboard algorithm ?

Last edited by Beto-Music (04-11-2011 21:01)

Oh, and you picked one of my favorite Davis/Evans tunes :-)

It sounds more crisp, I think, with more detail in the mid-range ...,
certainly more natural ...

Still, I guess the real test would be to actually "touch" it.
But hey, sounds really good !

Thanks again Phillipe.

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

yay!!!

let us know if there will be an upgrade path for 3.x owners so we can start saving up

pianoteq 3 was so worth the money, since I bought it two years ago I use it at least 4x a week when I practice

Dear all,

Some of you have been asking about Pianoteq 4. We are currently working very hard on it and we hope to have it ready in the next few months. In the meanwhile, here is a short foretaste: http://www.pianoteq.com/download?file=predemo-op111.mp3

Oh, you got Mr. Beethoven to work with you on pianoteq! (okay, very lame joke). Both mp3s sound great. The second one has a clear sweet sound (not very scientific words, I know ,-))) like those I love on a real Bechstein so much. Which would be - a bit expensive not only for me^^.

Thanks for posting this! Take your time, we already got a superb piano with the 3-versions, and give us some more examples during pre-christmas-time .

Klemperer wrote:

Oh, you got Mr. Beethoven to work with you on pianoteq!

Yes, we were indeed very proud when he visited our virtual manufactory

Thankyou Phillippe,

It's good to hear that you're getting close!

Listening to the second sample, it seems to me that the sympathetic resonances blend together differently, in a more subtle way, but I could be wrong about that.

Dear all,

There is something odd about the sound.. can't put my finger on it, not surprising from such a short clip.. Is it the decay too short or the timbre of the note changing too quick..? more pronounced in the first clip. Oh and overkill on the key release noise.

Maybe not appropriate to comment critically on a months-away release.

EdinKent, they have a rigorous beta testing while the version 4 is being developed, including many old forum members and professional pianists as well.

About the second clip, I'm curious about a longer clip, with a longer fast sucession of chords. The sequential chords in heh second clip sounds less metalic than actual pianoteq available   ... wel I think.

Last edited by Beto-Music (06-11-2011 00:35)

EdinKent wrote:

Dear all,

There is something odd about the sound.. can't put my finger on it, not surprising from such a short clip.. Is it the decay too short or the timbre of the note changing too quick..? more pronounced in the first clip. Oh and overkill on the key release noise.

Maybe not appropriate to comment critically on a months-away release.

This is the danger with teasers !

I'm very excited by this news. I know nothing technically about physical modelling but I remember a couple of years or so back reading a research piece on the net where some students had produced a physically modelled piano sound. The sound was less natural than that of Pianoteq, but what was interesting was that the students experimented with building into the model the physical compression of the hammer felt when the hammer hits the string. They gave a sound clip of the model with and without the compression for comparison. Interestingly, the model that included the compression was far more realistic/natural than the one without. I am curious to know if Pianoteq incorporates the compression of the hammer felt in the model.

Yay, I haven't checked in here for a while, but just now wondered if PT4 is due (been anticipating it for some time).

First impressions from the 2nd clip - it's richer, has more character, and what's most impressive to me is the gradual bell-like quality/complexity as velocity increases - very nice!

However it still sounds a bit thin at the lower frequency end, needs a little more organic warmth/complexity/'wood' : ).

It's hard to tell from short examples, but it seems to me as if the midrange is more refined, that the midrange and it's overtones aren't as dominant, resulting in more clarity and better tonal balance.

Last edited by Michael H (06-11-2011 19:21)

.. actually I just listened on my proper studio speakers, and it sounds much warmer and fuller (that'll teach me to audition on my inferior PC surround setup).  Really looking forward to checking it out in detail.

Obviously mic setup is crucial too.  I think mic model emulation (eg. impulses of famous mics) would be a nice touch.  Preferably even something more advanced than impulses to capture any non-linear behaviour.

And more variety/randomness in the background sounds (key release, damping etc) would be nice too.

Last edited by ReBased (06-11-2011 21:49)

rlburnside wrote:

let us know if there will be an upgrade path for 3.x owners so we can start saving up

Yes, we will offer an attractive upgrade path. Our most recent customers will get the upgrade for free according to the sales conditions.

Hi Phillipe,
Is there any possibility of having an mp3 of the current version of Pianoteq rendering the same midi file for comparison?
Thanks,
Niall

Great News!!

This is great news! Can't wait to hear more about it.

Windows 10 1511 | Intel Core i5 4690K 3.5GHz | 16GB RAM
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 | JBL LSR305
Casio Privia PX-150 | M-Audio Oxygen 49 (Gen 3)
Pianoteq Standard 5.5.1 | D4, K2, U4, KIViR, Bells

I just recently bought pianoteq 3.6.7, can I get an upgrade to pianoteq 4 without additional fees?

You'll probably fall in the grace period group.

Hard work and guts!

Not to exspect an answer but... :-)

Will there be other enhancements than the piano sound ?
Like other/new effects or maybe better reverb or... different gui maybe...an upright piano or mic placement enhancemets with different mic types or maybe integration of the "room" reverb in the mic placement window or........... just thinking loud and looking forward to what the upgrade will bring :-))          i wish i could be a fly on the wall

Yes, there will be other enhancements, but we guess that you like surprises

Sure do!!! Especially the PianoTeq kind!!!

The one parameter that seems to have the least affect is the String Length. Could this be made to have a more noticeable effect?

It changes string anharmonicity so the more harmonics you have the more you notice it thus ----> try it on a very loud and low note (the richer ones) and you'll ear it very well. The shorter the string the louder a bell like metal noise will raise.
Back to guess which could be the best xmas present

RE: string length, if you think they've got it wrong, build a 10 metre long piano and prove it.

skip wrote:

RE: string length, if you think they've got it wrong, build a 10 metre long piano and prove it.

That WOULD be fun!!!

I have always wondered how a 10m long piano string would sound in real life.  True, a piano based on a 10m length would have lessened inharmonicity. 

I also imagine two scenarios about how a 10m string might vibrate:

1) ... that the amplitude of a 10m low 'A' string would be visibly larger than a vibrating 2.90m piano string, resulting in at least a higher level of fundamental tone than is heard via Pianoteq. 

2)  On the other hand, a 10m long string would probably not have to be copper-wound (a feature used to lower the resonant frequency of a given length of string for a given level of string tension), because its long length already has a comparatively lower resonant frequency.

By the way, when one speaks of a 9' (2.70m) piano, we must realize that the string length is not 2.70m; rather, it is approximately (7-1/2', or 2.3 metres).

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Joe

The worlds largest piano:
http://www.pianoworld.com/fun/bigpiano.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQpnMDaF-aE

Could this be included in version 4?

Excellent news!
What about the hardware, processor specifications: will the new version require more speed or keep the same requirements?
Cheers

Modartt

How about teaming up with a keyboard manufacturer or designers etc. to create the official 'PianoTeq Controller'???

Chris,
Are you aware of Crumar's "Baby Grand"? http://www.bgmi.it/?a=showproduct&b=3

Greg.

You are a tease!!

It does sound more detailed. I'm to curious to find out if the electrics will see similar development.

skip wrote:

Chris,
Are you aware of Crumar's "Baby Grand"? http://www.bgmi.it/?a=showproduct&b=3

Greg.

Wow, I've played baby grands but this one (Crumar) is ridiculously short.  It's so short, why bother with the (pretentious) curve?

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

Wow, I've played baby grands but this one (Crumar) is ridiculously short.  It's so short, why bother with the (pretentious) curve?

Glenn

The bulge might be where the computer is housed, and I think its a cute idea. Even if its purely cosmetic, I think it looks good and shows imagination. Each to their own though.

Greg.

the Crumar does look cute
And it's not a bad demo for Pianoteq either - the sound of the video is good! A lot better than other demos I've seen...

I'm excited about Pianoteq 4.  Here's my wishlist:

1. For instruments with a limited range, especially the historical instruments, a way to configure the range if extensions would be at all usable.   That would mean that it would become possible to play late Beethoven on the Schantz, for instance.
2. For harpsichords, some more integrated way of managing "stops" -- 8/4 ft, lute.  That would greatly increase their value.

And, in general, more historical instruments!  They aren't just interesting as historical recreations -- they are full of musical possibilities for new work.  I love them!

rlburnside wrote:

Yes, we will offer an attractive upgrade path. Our most recent customers will get the upgrade for free according to the sales conditions.

I might be wrong but has this changed since the original conditions given you could upgrade from 1.x up to the latest builds ? Will this mean I will have to repurchase Pianoteq from scratch to get version 4 if I bought v3 over a year back or will there be upgrade routes ?

Last edited by mcbpete (29-11-2011 18:15)

mcbpete wrote:
rlburnside wrote:

I might be wrong but has this changed since the original conditions given you could upgrade from 1.x up to the latest builds ? Will this mean I will have to repurchase Pianoteq from scratch to get version 4 if I bought v3 over a year back or will there be upgrade routes ?

You won't have to repurchase from scratch, you will take the mentioned upgrade path.

As far as upgrades, I'll just speak for myself here, but I suspect a lot of people feel the same way.

It's 'somewhat' of a disappointment to have purchased a Pianoteq 3 license, and after there not having been a major new release for around two years, to be asked to pay for an upgrade, when those who got Pianoteq versions 1 and 2 got free upgrades thru version 3. 

However, earlier users of the software were supporting a new technology that, truthfully, left a lot to be desired soundwise in terms of realism. In my opinion, version 3 changed all that, so that in many circumstances Pianoteq sounds completely real.

Those of us who came on board with Pianoteq 3 have had a much better instrument to play and enjoy than early adopters had. So, I don't mind paying for the next upgrade as long as the cost is reasonable and the improvements to what we have now are significant. Research and development costs money, and we're supporting a company and a technology we believe in.

Above all, Pianoteq is an 'instrument' that's a joy to play, that keeps getting better. 

Michael

Last edited by Michael H (29-11-2011 22:52)