Topic: VSTI host for Macs?

I've run into this question twice in other threads, so I'll post it here in a new thread:
Is there a good VSTI host for Macs that lets you create keyboard splits and open several instances of the same instrument (PianoTeq) in each split?

It would be best if it had both PC and Mac versions that could read each others saved presets. Otherwise, we're headed into the land where we can't share presets...

(Sqook: SaviHost is great, but it doesn't let you create splits. Cantabile is small and isn't a sequencer. It's just a host like Savihost, but it lets you load several VSTI's at once, so you can have splits and effects. Takes about 1/10 of the time to load as my sequencers. Sorry to seem like a cheerleader for Cantabile. It just works cleanly and lets me play or record without opening Reaper or Cubase.)

Last edited by Jake Johnson (03-01-2008 01:54)

Re: VSTI host for Macs?

I'VE YET TO SEE ONE I USE UGLY VSTI AND VSTI HOST
LOOK AT THESE

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/softw...Ins-Hosts/

cool Ranger

will look into it! thx!!

I don't think any of the Mac vsti hosts on that page support keyboard splits and\or have both Mac and PC versions. I've written the developer of Cantabile to see if he has plans to dev a Mac version. I'm not very hopeful--I think he's a one man shop, and is pushing forward with the next version of Cantabile now.

Ack, I gotta toss my 0.02$ in this discussion, since I'm a mac junkie and find this area of audio software to be rather lacking.

I would actually say, the best "freeware" VST host out there is Ableton Live... just download the demo version and use it to host your plugs.  It lets you do everything except save (it is possible to actually save rendered files from the Live demo version through a loophole in the program, PM me for details).  Live is also a very reliable host and has good support for practically all VST/AU plugins.  The demo version also does not have an expiration date or anything like that.

If you don't need to stick with VST's, your best bet is Apple's AU Lab.  It has low overhead, and you can't beat the price.   Given that Pianoteq and most professionally produced plugins have AU versions available on the mac, AU lab is a pretty reasonable alternative.  Shame, though, that Apple basically refuses to acknowledge the existence of the VST platform in their audio software.  Not sure if AU lab supports keyboard splits, though...

Otherwise, I would have to say that pretty much every OSX host listed on that dontcrack page sucks for one reason or another.  Many of them there are quite unstable and lack the features found on the freeware hosts available for win32, like minihost and savihost.  And I believe I have the right to say this, since I'm the author of one of those hosts (MissWatson), which unfortunately has a number of bugs that I haven't had time to fix.

2cents your right there not much out there for the Mac I just threw link out for your viewing . I use Cubase 4 for all my needs and the vst hosts for a fast load only. But since I purchased pianoteq I have no more need for the vst hosts, I do my midi parts on the fly and when I'm ready , use them in Cubase