Topic: Curious about MONO feature of models

I often play live through a mono amp. And I often create audio that will be played on devices with one speaker. A lack of mono-compatibility remains a major problem for many sample-based piano sounds.

That is why I was so pleased that Modartt overtly included a mono-setting.

Pianoteq's mono setting doesn't have the usual "horribles" in the middle range-- that are typical with stereo piano samples being summed to mono. (The distance between microphones is often related to the wavelengths of problem frequencies.) But I do still notice a slight tonal shift in the range around middle C with the mono setting on.

I am curious though whether these models are based on typical stereo recordings with the usual phase discrepancies between channels. And if so, how did Modartt correct the phase distortion?

I'm wondering if Modartt might consider creating either: models based on Mid-Side recordings, OR maybe a few nice models that are specifically designed to be pure mono models.

Re: Curious about MONO feature of models

As Beta tester I remamber some of us requested  option to set virtual microphones, and option to change their location, along a virtual soundbord.  Also sugested to number of microphones and how high away from soundboard.

For a professional verison it would really be interesting.

Also was sugested 5.1 sound output. Let's give time to Pianoteq team, they have much work to do.

I guess having some mic options would be interesting. For myself, I'd prefer to have two "perspective" options: Player & Audience.

In either case, the Mid-Side approach to the stereo would allow us to control width without ANY tonal change-- and it would provide a perfect mono option.

I suppose I should reword my questions:

1. Did the recording/mic positioning influence the phase coherence of the models?

2. What measures could be taken in future models to improve the mono compatibility?

You might be interested in the "pan" parameter, which is not right-left but something different that is better heard than described.

Also, if you click the word "presets" at the top of the reverb section, you'll find player/orchestra/audience presets, though I can't say how accurate they are.

stubbsonic wrote:

I am curious though whether these models are based on typical stereo recordings with the usual phase discrepancies between channels. And if so, how did Modartt correct the phase distortion?

stereo is based on physical modelling of the soundboard and the nearby environment,  and mono is not the sum of the 2 chanels, it is an intermediate position issued from the model.
Another thing: the mono setting is based on the loudspeakers output settings, not the headphones ones, thus is dryer than the headphones output