Topic: damper pedal plays notes

I'm trying to use my CLP-320 with Pianoteq Play, and this strange thing happens: the damper pedal plays notes. This happens with both Pianoteq and Linuxsampler, so I'm guessing it's a midi configuration thing. On the CLP-320 manual there is no mention to this problem --the only thing that one can do with the pedals is enable them or disable them. Yesterday night I was changing random settings on the piano and Pianoteq and I managed to get it working. Then the midi events list in Pianoteq showed the pedal events, but without any parethesized note next to it --and it worked.

But I don't know how.. and now I've been reading the manual, googling and trying and I've been unable to reproduce it. Has any of you experienced this problem? Any hints? Thanks a lot!

Here's a screen capture of Pianoteq when I hit the damper pedal: http://gyazo.com/69a2200d959d528877ef7e1a8a9c16bb.png

The sustain and una corda pedals play notes as well.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, with ALSA for the midi input.

Thanks!

Last edited by grimborg (04-12-2010 09:58)

Re: damper pedal plays notes

Interesting.

The pedals should be relaying Controller messages and not Note messages.  The sustain pedal is commonly controller 64 (not note 64) and Una Corda is controller 67.

Unfortunately, I can't help you figure out what might be changing those messages over from controller to note messages.

Hello Grimborg,

Some Yamaha Clavinovas allow the user to restore factory default settings.  Here is the procedure:

1) Shut off the unit.

2) While holding down the highest C note on the keyboard, turn on the CLP. 

2A) Hold down that highest C Note until you are sure the CLP as gone through its normal diagnostic procedure.

I am not sure this will work in your case, but at least it is worth a try.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks for the tip --I tried the restore factory settings, but it didn't fix it.

When I press the damper pedal, the first message that appears in Pianoteq is "Controller 64", but the next ones are notes (specifically, E3, with "velocity" indicating how far down I pressed the pedal).

Is it possible that my MIDI-USB adaptor is faulty? Or rather the instrument? I noticed this other weird behaviour: if I change the transmit channel, only some notes are sent on the new channel, the rest keep being sent on channel 1.

But I'm not sure whose responsibility it is to send the messages as Controller instead of note, or of keeping the channel the same: the instrument's or the adaptor's.

I asked the shop where I bought the piano and they replied this:
"The problem is in the control service software. You have to deactivate the midi in the control service."

Do any of you have a clue on what this means?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by grimborg (06-12-2010 14:48)

are you using a MIDI-USB interface?
because I used to own a cheap midi-usb interface and when I used to play 1 note, pianoteq played like 5, and when I pressed down the pedal, it also played notes, etc.

Try another interface maybe that's the problem.
(*I bought the M-audio uno and problem solved by the way)

Two possible approaches:
- A weak MIDI connection. MIDI note and control commands differ from each other by one bit. But this should cause other errors like wrong notes, too.
- "Control Service" seems to be some process on your computer that connects the hardware internally with software like Pianoteq. Maybe. And maybe it can do things like remapping which can be the malfactor if it is misconfigured.

Just guesses.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

I had the same problen with a Yamaha AvantGrand N2 and what I did is to change my actual midi interface I had a cheap one,  I bought a M-Audio midisport 2x2, the problem desapear automatically without doing nothing and the pedal now works as a sustain pedal, I hope it helps.

Hi

Do you have both midi in and out connected between your CLP and interface ?
If it is so it could be a midi loop that maybe is going on..... but just a thought

Found a solution and the reason which causes the issue.

First of all: The issue is the cable.
Solution: Buy a good quality cable (Roland UM-ONE for instance)

I know this sounds weird, but it is. I had a chat with Kawai regarding it. It's a known problem.

So this is whats happening:
In MIDI Language
E4 is a           90 40 and in binaercode it's 10010000 01000000
the pedal is    B0 40 in MIDI and in binaer 10110000 01000000

As you can see, it's quite similar. The guys from Kawai told me, it's the software/controller of the cable which is causing this issue, because it's not able to transfer the MIDI Data correctly to the computer. This makes the computer switch the 1 with a 0 sometimes, and results in playing E4 instead of the pedal.
If you have this issue, you probably have an issue with the G4 as well (MIDI 90 43) and the Pedal which is - (you guessed correctly) B0 43

Hope this helps, for me it did.

best regards