Topic: Fatar Numa / Numa Nero

Hi,
I would apprecaite any feedback from anyone that has owned or currently own one of these midi controllers. I was considering buying the black Numa with the wooden keys but every time I do a little research on these midi controllers all I find is negative comments from existing users in relation the midi sensors being flawed etc. Actually some of the comments are so negative that I wonder that if true, how these were ever released to the public. I heard the action is pretty much the best out there though (Although I realise that this is highly subjective). I am currently using a Fatar sl990 xp and generally I am happy with it although it does not support half pedalling (Without a workaround plugging the sustain pedal into the volume pedal input although only supports values between 1 and 105 I think). Basically I am very interested in the Numa because I hear it feels exactly like a Grand piano. I called the leading supplier here in Europe and the Sales team there told me that in all honesty they would not receommend that I purchase the Numa as there has been alot returned for various reasons. I was kind of hoping that it was just an initial firmware issue and that most of these issues have been addressed. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.....
Thanks a mil,
Nile

Re: Fatar Numa / Numa Nero

I actually owned both at one time, but I settled on the nero because of the wooden keys...it just felt like a real piano to me. The unique velocity curve learning was the reason I chose that model in the first place, and it was the right choice for my finickiness. It is the best piano key-bed with after pressure in its class.

The bad news is that the modulation wheel is pretty worthless since it is located on the side...idiotic engineering decision. I purchased a continuous foot controller that helps. There is also an issue with the after pressure in that the values can be erratic between 0 and about 40. I cannot get a consistent smooth response, but it seems to be getting better as I use it.

If you can get it for a decent price it will be worth it. I tried many pianos before I settled on this...if you are a piano player you should love it.

JR

Last edited by johnrule (16-11-2010 15:19)

Hi JR,

Thank you very much for your response. Yes I heard that the Nero with the wooden keys has a great feel (Like a real piano). I noticed also that the modulation wheel was tucked away on the side but this did not really bother me that much as I would only really be using the nero for use with Pianoteq.

What worried me is exactly what you experienced in relation to the erratic behaviour of the midi response which considering the price would be a bitter pill to swallow. I am still very tempted though....

Thanks again for sharing your experience,

Nile

tb303 wrote:

I am currently using a Fatar sl990 xp and generally I am happy with it although it does not support half pedalling (Without a workaround plugging the sustain pedal into the volume pedal input although only supports values between 1 and 105 I think).

Nile: FWIW I have a SL-880pro (previous gen to yours I believe) with a Roland continuous pedal (forgot the reference). I also noticed that I couldn't get the full 0-127 range with the pedal hooked up to the SL keyboard's volume input.  My workaround was using the continuous input on another keyboard, an Axiom 25 (M-audio) which somehow does work with the Roland pedal as expected.  Selecting the correct MIDI signal for the sustain pedal in Pianoteq is a snap. 

Just thought I'd share in case you have an extra keyboard or controller lying around, and haven't thought of trying, so you can maybe enjoy half-pedalling while you shop around!

Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks a mil for the work around. I had no idea that I could have done that actually and I had recently let go of an m-audio controller which could have supported that. I have just got the sl990xp now so uffortunatlely I am stuck with the current setup.

Thanks again,

Nile

tb303 wrote:

What worried me is exactly what you experienced in relation to the erratic behaviour of the midi response which considering the price would be a bitter pill to swallow. I am still very tempted though....

All of the other midi information is stable (velocity, program change, continuous, etc.) I just think it is an issue with the physical after-touch mechanism. I discussed this thoroughly with a fatar engineer and he insisted that "this is the correct behavior" but I do not agree.

When you look at other keyboards, listen closely to the velocity difference between the black and white keys (use a midi monitor too). The numa is the only system that allows velocity learning that not only learns your velocity style, but provides a separate map for black and white keys.

For piano feel it is the best, but for midi control it is mediocre. It does have some nice split/layer features, but you may have to supplement this with a smaller controller...one that has a proper pitch and mod wheel.

JR

Last edited by johnrule (16-11-2010 15:34)

Hi JR,
Sounds good to me if its only an after touch issue. As a piano player this does not really impact me in a big way. I heard some reference to the the fact that the controller does not send midi Note Off values but I can't be sure based on postes I have read. Thank you for your post and I think I will go ahead and make the purchase as it will be for piano solely.
Thanks JR,
Nile

tb303 wrote:

Hi JR,
Sounds good to me if its only an after touch issue. As a piano player this does not really impact me in a big way. I heard some reference to the the fact that the controller does not send midi Note Off values but I can't be sure based on postes I have read. Thank you for your post and I think I will go ahead and make the purchase as it will be for piano solely.
Thanks JR,
Nile

It definitely sends note off or else it would be unusable. If you mean note off velocity, most controllers do not send that...if you need that specifically you need to search for it. I do remember one ranting review about the lack of this feature, but it is a very specific feature that is rarely used.

JR

johnrule wrote:

... note off velocity, most controllers do not send that...if you need that specifically you need to search for it. I do remember one ranting review about the lack of this feature, but it is a very specific feature that is rarely used.

JR

My keyboard sends note off velocity. I use it but I'm not convinced I'm very good at controlling it.

The problem is that note-off velocity doesn't correspond very well to anything you do on the piano. When I'm playing and let up on a note very slowly before releasing it, the piano is responding not to the movement of the damper but to its position or its pressure against the strings, which I can control in real time. Release velocity is a single value sent when I let up on the key.

So I set up release velocity to affect Pianoteq a little--it adds a pleasing variety to the release time of the notes--but it really doesn't work like it would on a real piano.

Last edited by doug (17-11-2010 17:09)

Yes sorry I meant "Note Off Velocity". Thanks for the info, much appreciated

tb303 wrote:

I am currently using a Fatar sl990 xp and generally I am happy with it although it does not support half pedalling

Consider a CME GPP-3 pedal unit. I've had two. The first failed horribly and exposed their customer service as worthless. But the second is still working fine.

It's big and heavy, has two switching pedals and one CC pedal (the right one). It can output with trs cables, MIDI (requires power) or USB (takes its power from the USB). I use the USB output straight to my computer and it works beautifully.

Hi Doug,

It's funny you should mention this pedal, I was lookng at this for a long while but I eventually decided not to buy it because it seemed pretty glitchy! Its good that you managed to get a second one and it is working good for you. I had been reading all sorts of reviews in relation to people opening up this pedal and soldering etc to try and get it working that I was eventually scared off. It really does look like a perfect solution for a piano player though, I am quite suprised that more companies are not producing a product like this, especially in the age of the psoftware piano.

I appreciate the recommendation and it's definitely something I have my eye on...
Thanks,
Nile

Roland now do something similarly usable:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc...uctId=1132

EdinKent wrote:

Roland now do something similarly usable:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc...uctId=1132

Interesting. 3 TRS jacks suggest that all 3 pedals are continuous. However, "only 3 jacks" suggests that it's hard to use unless you have a Roland or other suitable controller to hook it up to.

The CME's single-cable USB hookup is still a big plus in that respect.

Last edited by doobya (18-11-2010 22:31)

Well yes, CME has the usb connection but I mentioned the Roland pedal set because of the context of Fatar's Numa Nero/sl-990/880 pro etc. which Nile was interested in. The Nero has 2 stereo jack inputs and other Fatar keyboards have 3 programmable jacks, all of which would suit the Roland pedals (you'd need a 2 mono to 1 stereo jack adapter on the Nero, but pennies to buy and easy to do). Also worth considering for Nile is the VMK 188 plus from Fatar which apparently has a good action and has 4 programmable pedal inputs.

Incidentally that Roland pedal set is continuous on the sustain pedal but not on the sostenuto and soft pedals.

I'd be curious to know if such a setup would indeed work (Roland triple pedal hooked directly into a Fatar/Studiologic keyboard).  My experience with combining these brands (as described above, and as Nile describes as well) is that the electrical values given by the Roland pedal(s) don't match what the keyboard is expecting on its continuous input.  Hence the limited 0-100 or so range in MIDI values, which is of little use.

I'm sure the pedal(s) could be hacked by replacing the adjustable resistor with one of a different value, but it would be nice to know which combos actually work out of the box

I'd forgotten that the VMK188 has as many pedal inputs, but, if I recall correctly, these are designed to work with Fatar's own pedal sets: http://www.studiologic.net/footpedals.html

So thank you for pointing out the triple Roland pedal; it would be nice however to know if and how it actually works with Fatar keybeds (and what hacks might be required).  That's why I mentioned that the USB hookup seems like such an obvious simplification to bypass all these technical idiosyncrasies!

Cheers,
Chris

tb303 wrote:

It's funny you should mention this pedal, I was lookng at this for a long while but I eventually decided not to buy it because it seemed pretty glitchy!

I am currently using a Roland DP-8 for modulation on my Numa Nero, and the continuous data is consistent...I get values from 1 to 122 (122 may be a limitation of the physical travel of my foot pedal only). The jack is configurable for "Open Switch" or "Continuous" controllers, and there is also a switch on the foot pedal to change the type of control to momentary rather than variable.

The user panel in the Numa also allows you to change the polarity of the signal (+/-), the type of control (CC value), the zone for control (1-4, you can have different configurations for each zone too), and the midi channel for control. Both jacks are configurable in this manner.

JR

Last edited by johnrule (20-11-2010 14:37)

Thank you for all the helpful advice...

johnrule,

As you can see the MIDI values generated by the pedal, are you able to see them as a stream?   I am interested in what the output looks like when the pedal is in "continuous" mode and is held in various intermediate positions.

hyper.real wrote:

johnrule,

As you can see the MIDI values generated by the pedal, are you able to see them as a stream?   I am interested in what the output looks like when the pedal is in "continuous" mode and is held in various intermediate positions.

You can stop the value anywhere you like...the strings and soundboard resonate very similar to real half-damper.

JR

Hi,

Has anyone played the new Roland FP-7-F? It's retailing for around 1,600 Euros and has the PHA III Ivory feel key action (I presume this is the same as that of the V-Piano). It's around 400 Euros more expensive than the Numa Nero but you seem to get a-lot for the extra 400...

Niles

My experience with the NUMA was also a bad one.  I cound NOT get half-pedaling to work and the action was not very piano-like to me.  And finding a pedal that could work with this board (after a significant bit of fiddling and tweaking) was beyond a small effort.  I found it completely unacceptable that the sustain pedal they ship with the board is a momentary switch!!  WTF!

AND people keep assuming that this board has wooden keys... they are wood EMBEDDED keys!  I think this is Fatar's marketing terminology for a laminate or something that they put on the sides of the keys.  They definitely are NOT full wooden keys.

If you have already ordered one, GOOD LUCK with it.  If not, consider this yet another negative review of this board.  It was sooooo close to being the perfect thing (shiny black case, minimal controls, VERY piano looking)...

Curt

More negative feedback on the NUMA....Thanks for sharing your experience. lucky I did not buy it

tb303 wrote:

More negative feedback on the NUMA....Thanks for sharing your experience. lucky I did not buy it

Well, its a bit misinformed...even "real" wooden keys are not all wood. My point was simply that the wooden keybed is better than the regular, and it has a very pleasant touch. The velocity curves are also the most versitile I could find.

I picked mine up for a bargain price, so I can overlook some of it's short-comings.

JR

curt wrote:

I cound NOT get half-pedaling to work and the action was not very piano-like to me.  And finding a pedal that could work with this board (after a significant bit of fiddling and tweaking) was beyond a small effort.

I found it easy to use the Roland DP-8 as a continuous controller for sustain...you need to select that option in the preferences. There is also a physical switch on the DP-8 that makes it a simple on/off pedal...other pedals may be the same, so you should be aware (i.e. it could ship in either mode).

The action seems great to me, and I've played quite a variety of 'real' pianos most of my life. What exactly was not "piano-like" about it?

curt wrote:

If you have already ordered one, GOOD LUCK with it.  If not, consider this yet another negative review of this board.  It was sooooo close to being the perfect thing (shiny black case, minimal controls, VERY piano looking)...

It has a very impressive look to be sure. It is also a pleasure to play.

If you search on the Internet for reviews, you will find that many of them were by me, and mostly negative. However, as I stated, I picked up my Nero (the black one) at a great price and that has softened me a bit towards the idiosyncrasies.

JR

JR, is the feel of the Fatar NUMA (White) identicle to that of the NUMA Nero? The reason I ask is, if indeed there really is only laminate wood on the sides of the keys rather than the wood making up a large part of the body of the key(s), should not the feel of the keys and the otherwise identicle action of both the NUMA and the NUMA Nero feel indistinguishably similar?

If they do feel exactly the same, then I could save myself £70 and get the White NUMA! After all, it's the feel that I'm after as I only wish to use it with PianoTeq as a piano keyboard!!!

Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated,

regards,

Chris

Last edited by sigasa (28-02-2011 22:06)

sigasa wrote:

JR, is the feel of the Fatar NUMA (White) identicle to that of the NUMA Nero? The reason I ask is, if indeed there really is only laminate wood on the sides of the keys rather than the wood making up a large part of the body of the key(s), should not the feel of the keys and the otherwise identicle action of both the NUMA and the NUMA Nero feel indistinguishably similar?

If they do feel exactly the same, then I could save myself £70 and get the White NUMA! After all, it's the feel that I'm after as I only wish to use it with PianoTeq as a piano keyboard!!!

Advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated,

regards,

Chris

The feel is definitely better on the Nero...the wood makes a difference. I had both, and I would have preferred to keep them (both), but in the end I decided on the Nero because of the feel. The black seems more appropriate for a piano, but the white was certainly breath taking (I wouldn't gig with the white though!).

I've already taken the cover off to take a peak, and the keys are definitely wooden with a plastic laminate. I imagine that the strike force is absorbed better (or maybe just differently) because of the wood...it feels more like a real piano to me.

I would pay several hundred more for the Numa Nero (and I did!), so £70  is nothing...it is worth it IMO.

[edit]
The plastic laminate is only on the top, front, and bottom of the key...the majority (or center) of the key is all wood.

JR

Last edited by johnrule (01-03-2011 03:59)

Thank you John, Nero it is!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe50x0...from=embed

A great video to see the NUMA Nero in it's true glory!

Last edited by sigasa (01-03-2011 14:15)

HELP!!!

I'm trying to get by Kawai F-20 Double Pedal set sync'd up with PianoTeq and my NUMA Nero. I have managed to assign the pedals so everything works in the NUMA Nero, but now, having mapped the pedals correctly, when play the pedal, the software pedals go down - so far so good - but when I lift my foot back up, the pedals do not follow!

The potentiometer has a range of 6 showing values of 0 - 5 or 122 - 127 in the midi log stream (depending on the polarity setting).

The soft pedal switch shows 5 and 22 or 122 and 105 in the midi log stream (again, depending on the polarity setting).

Is my pedal mis-matched? It IS made by Fatar! I don't know whether or not I should send it back (Not the Nero, the pedal) or if I'm missing something in the setting up process???

HELP!!!

sigasa wrote:

Is my pedal mis-matched? It IS made by Fatar! I don't know whether or not I should send it back (Not the Nero, the pedal) or if I'm missing something in the setting up process???

HELP!!!

What controller numbers do you have assigned to each pedal?

JR

johnrule wrote:
sigasa wrote:

HELP!!!

What controller numbers do you have assigned to each pedal?

JR

I've assigned sustain to c#64 and una-corda/soft to c#67

sigasa wrote:

I've assigned sustain to c#64 and una-corda/soft to c#67

I just did a test with my Roland DP-8 and my Numa Nero. Both CC #64 and CC#67 allow continuous control, and I have the following settings in the Numa:

Polarity = negative (-)
Control type = Continuous
Multi = off

In Pianoteq, I have both "Controller 64" and "Controller 67" showing in the "Options/Midi Mapping" section with a range of 0 - 1.0.

The travel range for my DP-8 is 1 - 122.

JR

Thank you John

I have succeeded in getting an increase in midi range of the sustain pedal by pulling the jack out slightly. However, it is far from full range nor is it reliable!

Initially, I separated the signals of the stereo jack on the F-20 double pedal using an adapter (stereo- jack-socket-to-left-and-right-phono-plugs). Then I connected two phono-to-mono-jack adapters (one two each phono plug).

I'm actually thinking I should use phono-to-stereo-jack adapters? After all, the spec on the studiologic/fatar website says 'stereo pedal jack sockets'. Would this explain why I get better results when pulling the jacks back out slightly?

Anyhow, I've ordered two phono-to-stereo-jack adapters to see whether they do the trick!

Opinions John?

sigasa wrote:

Opinions John?

I measured 5k to 10k variable resistence between the tip and the shield...the middle ring seems to have a diode. I am pretty sure the signal that generates the continnuous data is the tip/shield signal. Do you have the capability of measuring these values?

Maybe you should just verify with Kawai...anybody else have a clue?

JR

johnrule wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Opinions John?

I measured 5k to 10k variable resistence between the tip and the shield...the middle ring seems to have a diode. I am pretty sure the signal that generates the continnuous data is the tip/shield signal. Do you have the capability of measuring these values?

Maybe you should just verify with Kawai...anybody else have a clue?

JR

Thank you.

I don't have measuring equipment for voltage.

I was seeing a range from 127 down to almost 40 with the sustain jack slightly pulled out. I think the F-20 is capable of almost if not all the range. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that because the jack is not firmly in contact with the terminals, the current is not flowing optimally. This would explain why I've only managed 127->40 (0-<97).

I'll report back on the stereo jack adapters.

regards,

Chris

Nope!

I'm still not getting the full values.

And I still have to pull the jack out slightly to get continuous operation!

I've decided to send the pedal back.

Chris

I've ordered the CME GPP-3. It just so happens that the manufacturers have moved to a new factory and have been in the process of tooling it up. They are going to continue producing this dedicated pedal

sigasa wrote:

I've ordered the CME GPP-3. It just so happens that the manufacturers have moved to a new factory and have been in the process of tooling it up. They are going to continue producing this dedicated pedal

I remember that pedal. It was a nightmare. The MIDI out is super convenient, but faulty as hell. The firmware upgrade was a bitch and a half to install, and still didn't fix anything. I suppose the 1/4" outs are more reliable, but I wouldn't bet on it. Plus their forum/support was a ghost town. I'd cancel your order and get Roland's new triple pedal... http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc...arentId=41

CME stories can be very different.. I have a GPP-3 and have never had any problems with it yet.. have had it for 2 years now...
I also have a CME UF-80 keyboard which is great too but did indeed have firmware upgrade problems with that one.. in the end that seemed to have to do with USB not giving enough power while updating. Since then I have a separate power adapter and it has worked great since...

cheers
Hans

sigasa wrote:

Also they are making improvements to the product. I've not been told exactly what, but from what I can gather, it is tweeks to iron out problems such as have been found and described by a number of people previously.

As to my new NUMA Nero, I am delighted with this keyboard. I can honestly say it is the best keyboard I have ever played. I'm keeping mine

regards,

Chris

sigasa wrote:

Thank you John

I have succeeded in getting an increase in midi range of the sustain pedal by pulling the jack out slightly. However, it is far from full range nor is it reliable!

Excuse me that I'm a bit late coming to this topic. I've got the Fatar VMK188plus myself, and I think the action is excellent- it's the TP40GH non-wooden action. If the Nero action is superior to this, then it must be truly amazing.

Hopefully your Nero pedal messages will work better than mine, because the single most annoying thing about my keyboard is that the pedal inputs are unreliable, and they send a zero message unexpectedly every now and then for no reason. You can be using the sustain, and it just stops sustaining occasionally while the damper pedal is down. Not good. My Yamaha FC3 ranges from 10-113 or so on my Fatar, but gives full range 0-127 on my Yamaha P85. Even when I narrow the range on the Fatar, or assign different controllers for sustain, a zero gets sent sporadically. I'd be interested in knowing  if you come across this oddity yourself with the Numa.

Last edited by Michael H (28-03-2011 02:08)

Michael H wrote:
sigasa wrote:

Thank you John

Excuse me that I'm a bit late coming to this topic. I've got the Fatar VMK188plus myself, and I think the action is excellent- it's the TP40GH non-wooden action. If the Nero action is superior to this, then it must be truly amazing.

To add to the other owners who like it. I love my Numa Nero. Feels perfect to me BUT everyone's hands are different. I played a Yamaha acoustical piano at a venue recently, as one example, and the keyboard was lighter. I like the slightly harder action of the Numa Nero. I seem to get from examples of comments that pianists really like it overwhelmingly but synth/organ/multi keyboard players have the most negative remarks. I have been playing mine since it came out and have had no issues with midi or contacts. I like the uncluttered look also of no faders, switches, knobs as it helps the illusion of playing an acoustic with Pianoteq. Pianoteq is still my 'go-to' piano though I do have some impressive and expressive sample sets too. The dynamic feel of the model just feels so much better, imho, that throws it to the top even if you perceive a bit more expression and authenticity from the large sample library.

Hammerhead

Last edited by Hammerhead (29-03-2011 02:13)