Topic: Aliquot System

Patented Aliquot System employs and additional fourth string in the treble section attached directly to the bridge that is not struck by the hammers

Would be easy tocreate something like that?

Certainly would increase the computer mathematical calculation, since have some extra strings to open ressonate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliquot_stringing
    http://www.bluthner.co.uk/bluthner/special.html#aliquot

I'm curiopus to hear the difference. I anybody found some mp3 demonstrating this Aliquot System, please post here.

Re: Aliquot System

Interesting idea / feature request.
Basically, the Aliquot system just increases a characterstic of acoustic pianos (stringed intruments), that strings are stimulated into swinging, even if they are not derictly hit by a hammer. This is a bit like the duplex scale in a stainway or yamaha grand piano.

The thing is: This charateristic is stronger in historical instruments like the fortepiano, the harpsichord and the chlavicord than in modern pianos and adds greatly to their particular sound. The sound of these relatively soft instruments becomes richer, more expressive and louder. No wonder that piano builders tried to compensate for this lack in the modern grand piano which is in many ways a monstrous creation:
only look at the weight (350 kg upwards), the 15 to 20 tons of tension on the cast iron frame and mostly a horrible volume that will rock the whole building and often annoy your neighbours. Some people compare playing Mozart on a modern grand to opening boiled eggs with a hammer ;-)

I am very glad, that pianoteq makes it easily possible to simulate historical instruments.

It will add greatly to making PIANOTEQ even more realistic, if they integrate something like the Aliquot system or the duplex scale system.
In my opinion, all of these systems are nothing more but various degrees of one single feature: sympathetic resonance of neighbouring strings in a piano.
Therefore Pianoteq simply needs to add another silde level control.