Topic: The Bechstein edit is for version 2.1, not the latest version

Just realized that I edited the Bechstein in version 2.1. Doesn't sound the same at all in version 2.2. Sorry for the slow realization.

Re: The Bechstein edit is for version 2.1, not the latest version

Yikes. I just tried this preset (which I created) and it sounded terrible--apparently I made other changes to the default Bechstein and hadn't realized it. (Changes in the hammer hardnesses, for one thing.) Works fine in Version 2.2.

I've uploaded the revised preset in the Files section of the forum as Bechstein Sweet for PianoTeq.

This preset sounds best from the octave below middle C up to two octaves above middle C.) You may like it more f you use the pedal a little more than you might usually use it.  I'm still trying to get it to sound a little more resonant with the pedal up, without getting too sloshy with the pedal down.

In the lower bass, it's not viable. Other problems:

I'm also having a problem getting it to respond to velocity in the way that I want--the timbre stays a little too much the same at high velocities, and the volume doesn't increase as much as I'd like. I don't want the sound to get extremely bright at high velocities, but I want it to get a little brighter. I think the volume problem is that the Dynamics setting raises the volume of low strikes, but for this preset, at least, reduces the volume of high strikes too much. In addition, one or two notes here and there seem a little thin: the C above middle C sometimes sounds unresponsive to velocity and a little thin. (If you reduce the Key Release Duration to the default of 1.0, this thinness becomes more evident.)

I wish someone had told me how bad the original edit sounded---something subtle along the lines of "You're deaf if you think this sounds like a piano" would have led me to review the preset...On the other hand, the basic principle of greatly reducing some of the parameters and increasing one of the others was still followed.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (13-12-2007 17:17)