Topic: Has Pianoteq reached its limits?

First of all I would like to kindly request all those Pianoteq-fanatics who are ready to kill somebody for not liking Pianoteq to just skip that thread. I have no intention of nagging. This is more of a question to Pianoteq creators.

When I first heard about Pianoteq it was April 2007 and at that time I was extremely ecstatic about it. I have downloaded the demo and I realized that although the playability was excellent, the emulation of the characteristic piano sound was far from real. Anyway, I thought that was just the beginning and I was sure the improvements and perfection were a matter of few years. I would wait and purchase it once it has reached maturity and perfection. Well, now, after three years I see the progress, but it is far from what I have expected. The sound in the middle of the keyboard is still of metallic quality, with artificial note sustain, dull sounding with the feeling as if you are inside the piano, or inside a can and no tweaking of EQ, reverb, miking, etc. could help... I've tried hundreds of user presets and still can't find anything to fall in love with.

So, my question to the creators is: What's the future of Pianoteq and has it reached its limits? I love the playability and the recreation of all subtle effects and phenomenons of a piano but could I expect also a sound similar to that of the huge sample libraries like Ivory for example? Is it a matter of new and proper model or faster CPU-s or rewriting of the whole engine or something else?

Re: Has Pianoteq reached its limits?

I do understand where you are coming from. There has been immense improvement over the years due to the hard work of the Modartt team. But you will find that even Modartt wish to continually improve their piano(s). It's a bit like asking the question, how many times is it nescessary to suceed?! As many as it takes to suceed! How many years?! As many as necessary! Isn't it worth the wait? Well that depends on

1. what value do you put on time?
2. what value do you put on a perfect pianoteq?
3. which is more important to you?

I would be concerned if the guys at Modartt were at the point where they thought there could be no more progress, but clearly they are not!

There is ALWAYS room for improvement (ask the best pianist in the world!)

Hope this helps!

I have been involved in research for much of my life.  Pianoteq is a new concept and it is also a research project.  While it does something similar to the many sampling libraries out there, it does it in a totally different way.  Hence, the issues and problems to solve are all new.  The opportunities and the potential are also new.  I have learned it is impossible to schedule innovation and creativity.  I believe this to be true for music and it is also true for science.  This is part of the art in both disciplines.  Other management concepts like adding more resources and people to an effort are not often effective, because you have to find people with the right understanding and passion.  I must agree with sigasa that the improvements will take place in the time that it takes.  As such, it requires patience.  It is also clear that many improvements have already been made, which shows a good track record.  I would not mind if research could be completed faster or on demand, but I have never observed this in the real world.  As Billy Crystal once said, if you rush miracles, you get rotten miracles (paraphrase from The Princess Bride).  If Pianoteq cannot meet your needs, it certainly does not bother me if you make use of other tools and software.  Pianoteq meets my needs quite nicely and has for the last 2-3 years, so I will keep using it.

mwinthrop wrote:

If Pianoteq cannot meet your needs, it certainly does not bother me if you make use of other tools and software.  Pianoteq meets my needs quite nicely and has for the last 2-3 years, so I will keep using it.

Guys, these are the comments I was trying to avoid. I can somehow agree with you but on the other side I do have also a master degree in engineering physics and for the last 10 years I've been working as a software developer and have participated in few projects using numerical analysis, physical models, differential equations, etc which I am sure is used in Pianoteq and I can assure you that stuff has its limits. If you would like to reset your limits and goals further, then you should usually rewrite the model, or rewrite the whole engine. That's why my question was towards the creators, not towards users who are happy with Pianoteq and tell me to f*** off if I don't like it. For example, developers have stated the new K1 model could actually be achieved by tweaking the C1 preset by users. This makes me feel that the general characteristics of the software remained the same and it is only the slight variations of the model which are making a difference. What I am asking the creators/developers is their road-map for the Pianoteq future and what they think can be improved in future. All those who are happy with its current state - great for you, but it is my right to ask in a public forum all my questions and I have stated whom I am expecting the answer from. It is their right (creators/developers) to not answer me of course. But you act like PR-s or representatives or Modartt spokespersons which I doubt you actually are.

As with any program there's always a group of followers and non-followers, which is actually not important. One can either use or not use a program as he wishes and have and state an opinion and have all right to do so...
But apart from those obvious remarks I think there are so many parameters involved in piano simulation that probably the main limitation now is computer power. Where in the past a Cray supercomputer had to be used to do very complex calculations, one can easily do those on Intel or Mac nowadays. But at the same time the complexity of what we want grows as well. Thus the need for faster CPUs.
For the time being probably sampling which captures all nuances of a sound will be the best deal, problem being that because of the size of the samples and the amount of data that has to be put through, sample makers make the decision of using less possible steps per key. But at least they have all nuances in every step.
Pianoteq has the far better playabilty but since everything has to be made 'on the fly' it will surely need a lot of power for it to make every nuance, if the model even allows that or if they will even be able to program all of those extra quirky sounds that a piano might make and that can be captured in a recording for a sample library. I can imagine that having more horsepower will help and it feels like Modartt have enough 'drive' to improve on its model upto hitting the next limitation.
And I know this is just another opinion - no spokesman here too...
Just a matter of ventilating a thought..  :-)

cheers
Hans

Hi CyberGene,

Thank you for your interest in Pianoteq, we seem to share the same passion for piano and science. We agree that there is a large potential for improvement. We already improved it at each release and will continue in the future. Of course you are right about rewriting the model, this is what we do permanently at each release, rewriting big parts and creating new parts in the model. Note that we make simultaneously big efforts to keep compatibility with previous models so that customers having found a sound they like are still able to reproduce it when we release a new model.

BTW, just a correction: we never stated “the new K1 model could actually be achieved by tweaking the C1 preset by users”, in the contrary, it cannot be obtained from the C1 or any other Pianoteq piano instruments.

Concerning the current version: piano is a matter of taste, and finding the optimal setting in Pianoteq sometimes require patience as there are so many parameters and other factors to take into account (keyboard velocity curve, playing style, ambience etc). Feel free to contact us directly and we will gladly assist you in finding the right sound to your preference.

Concerning future, I can tell you that we will never be happy with the current state. This is one of the most exciting part of the Pianoteq development: we knew from the beginning that we have an endless road in front of us, with no theoretical limit to the improvement. And we are of course grateful to all our customers who allow us to continue this very exciting project!

Philippe, thank for your reply! That's exactly the answer I expected to hear and I will not give up trying and evaluating Pianoteq It's a tremendous achievement what you have done so far and you deserve a hgh regard for that. Thanks again!

CyberGene wrote:

So, my question to the creators is: What's the future of Pianoteq and has it reached its limits?

Is it a matter of new and proper model or faster CPU-s or rewriting of the whole engine or something else?

There may not be answers to these questions.  Pianoteq is a work in progress.  And because it utilizes the relatively new approach of modelling, it's likely impossible to predict the path it will follow as it relies on raw computational power, and the future of this is uncertain.

The true nuances of the piano sound may be as complex as climate modelling.

There is also another aspect - that of trade secrets.  if you asked Ford or GM to reveal what new engine technology they were developing, I doubt they would respond, and for good reason.

It seems to me that the questions cannot and for obvious reasons will not be answered.

It also seems that because of the recent improvements in the model (which suggest that further significant improvements may be in store), there could be cause for concern in the non-modelling technologies, and that the concern is being manifested in various ways which I will leave to astute readers to determine for themselves.

Glenn

CyberGene wrote:

The sound in the middle of the keyboard is still of metallic quality, with artificial note sustain, dull sounding with the feeling as if you are inside the piano, or inside a can and no tweaking of EQ, reverb, miking, etc. could help...

Just curious: Can you point us this "middle" more spesific?

I can't speak for CyberGene, but what I notice is a little bit of a synth-oscillator-like quality most noticeable in the area roughly one octave above and one octave below middle-C. 

And for the most part it seems to be there across models (M, C, K) and independent of most of the custom settings like harmonics and the soundboard settings.   

This is the same sound that at other times I may have described as "something missing"... like wood or dirt or something organic.  "Lack of wood" or "added synth oscillator"... same perception.

I *have* noticed however that it can be mitigated somewhat by upping the unison width (which unfortunately honky-tonks the piano), or, interestingly, by turning the "direct sound" parameter all the way down.

-glenn

glittle wrote:

I can't speak for CyberGene, but what I notice is a little bit of a synth-oscillator-like quality most noticeable in the area roughly one octave above and one octave below middle-C. 
-glenn

I wonder if "real world" oscillating strings have a bit of random frequency drift for each cycle, and possibly that is not being captured in the model?

Pianoteq 5, Dell Studio 14 (core i3 2.26 ghz), M-Audio Uno midi connector, Echo Indigo Djx (expresscard), Little Dot MK V Headphone Amp, Senn 580 Headphones, Kawai MP9000 digital piano

You may be hearing the decay of the soundboard as long and too smooth. Try:

1. Reducing the cut-off freq.
2. Reducing impedance.
3. Adjusting the Q-factor.

Generally speaking, the higher the impedance, the longer the sound lasts and seems smoother. The higher the cut-off, the more high freqs are present in the decay. The Q factor determines how much the freqs above the cut off freq are reduced with each new cycle of sound being transferred from the strings\bridge to the sound board. Small adjustments here, and an almost infinite number of combinations, change the sound greatly.

If you like the sound with the Direct duration slider closer to the left, you probably want to move the Impedance slider towards the left, also, or all of the force from each hammer strike will be transferred slowly to the resisting soundboard, increasing the sense of a long, smooth decay that may seem too pure.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (21-05-2010 16:59)

Jake Johnson wrote:

You may be hearing the decay of the soundboard as long and too smooth. Try:

1. Reducing the cut-off freq.
2. Reducing impedance.
3. Adjusting the Q-factor.

Generally speaking, the higher the impedance, the longer the sound lasts and seems smoother. The higher the cut-off, the more high freqs are present in the decay. The Q factor determines how much the freqs above the cut off freq are reduced with each new cycle of sound being transferred from the strings\bridge to the sound board. Small adjustments here, and an almost infinite number of combinations, change the sound greatly.

If you like the sound with the Direct duration slider closer to the left, you probably want to move the Impedance slider towards the left, also, or all of the force from each hammer strike will be transferred slowly to the resisting soundboard, increasing the sense of a long, smooth decay that may seem too pure.

Does this produce a more woody sound Jake?

Last edited by sigasa (21-05-2010 20:04)

Well, I don't know. These controls let you control the decay, more. I think the strike point and spectrum give move control over the timbre.

But wood seems hard to define. Could you record and post a note or two that have the desired amount of wood? I'm being serious. Just a 10-15 second mp3 of a note or two played by themselves. We could all try our hands at reproducing it\them and see what happens.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (21-05-2010 20:38)

Jake Johnson wrote:

But wood seems hard to define.

Indeed, and MANY people are saying they want more of this in Pianoteq!

Does "woodiness" mean "mellowness"?  As the timbre becomes brighter, does that mean less wood and more metal?

I still think Pianoteq lacks metal, not wood. By this, I mean that it lacks something in the very high harmonics that I hear in a) many real recordings, and b) many sampled pianos. 

Greg.

I'm not sure if wood = mellow, but on the other hand I'm not what contributes to wood. A tentative list:

The hammer thock
The voicing of the hammer
The exact pitch of the string within the overall tuning
The tuning of nearby strings, and thus the resonances set off by the note
The tuning of the octaves of the string
The unison detuning (?)
The closeness of the mic(s)
The inharmonicity of the string?
The hammer strike position
The actual partial structure, of course
Sometimes I think that tape saturation contributes in recorded pianos
Additional sounds, such as a slight rush of wind before the hammer strike?
The sound after the damper falls, which sets off different partials according to the damper position

What else? And what would be the list for creating the sound of metal?

Last edited by Jake Johnson (22-05-2010 05:56)

skip wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Indeed, and MANY people are saying they want more of this in Pianoteq! Does "woodiness" mean "mellowness"?...Greg.

The "roar" of the wood.  The distortion the cabinet imparts upon the strings - vibrations feeding back upon the strings and then back into the wood again... rumbling, creaking, stresses of the seams -like nailing into a rafter.  And if you don't want that, if you only want the attack and sustain characteristics of an imaginary perfect piano note, then just turn the "wood" parameter knob down...

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

skip wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

Indeed, and MANY people are saying they want more of this in Pianoteq!

Does "woodiness" mean "mellowness"?  As the timbre becomes brighter, does that mean less wood and more metal?

I still think Pianoteq lacks metal, not wood. By this, I mean that it lacks something in the very high harmonics that I hear in a) many real recordings, and b) many sampled pianos. 

Greg.

Pianoteq don't have the "bell" sound especially when hitting notes harder.
I hear the strings in Pianoteq as too even sounding.
Like a synth waveform with an advanced filter envelope on it.
In a real piano every string sounds more different, some notes with a lot of the "bell" overtones and others more even sounding.
If modart can add this part of the sound we are really close !
Somehow they allready did great bell overtones in the vibraphone and the carillion bells so i think it's allready in the model. it's "just" to implement this bellish caracter to the piano's

Seems like we're branching off from the original thread topic. Maybe that's good. But don't we need references to better define the terms that we're using? Which piano emulations or recordings have wood? Which have bell?

I think what people are calling 'wood' could also be termed as 'realness'. It is a term by nature illusive!

Having said that, I don't think it is impossible for Modartt to achieve (look how far they've come already), but it may mean that, just like the audio samples Modartt use for the pedal action and key-off, there would need to be some sort of audio integration. I know that some soft-synth products do this to some extent already, with limited effect (nothing like up to Modartt's standards), and of course we have the new Yamaha CP1, CP5 and CP50 doing a similar dual integration i.e. true modelling + audio samples. I don't know any other way we can get that 'wood' character! I think Modartt has to seriosly look at this as a possible way forward, and not limit themselves to pure true modelling as a way to a more 'perfect' piano instrument, which of course, strictly speaking, they haven't done, in that, as mentioned, they already use this method to a very small degree.

Last edited by sigasa (24-05-2010 13:19)

I think "woodness" is mostly associated with attack, the moment when hammers hit strings. IMO Roland's V-piano has succeeded to make it quite well, so it's possible. Of course who knows, maybe Roland is fooling us: perhaps they are using sampling instead of complete modeling

I had a V-piano over a weekend and I compared it to PTQ, Roland RD700GX (sampled), Yamaha S90XS (sampled), Clavia Nord (sampled) and Ivory (sampled). I was surprised how close V-piano was to these sampled competitors. In fact it was so close to others that I decided not start to save money for it. Compared to others, PTQ was sounding clearly different. Somebody might say it's the best and most natural; I agree that in some respects and in some registers it's maybe the best. But same time it has some qualities which makes it little artificial sounding; you might call this lack of "woodness". I have located these most problematic qualities under middle C.

Last edited by Ecaroh (24-05-2010 13:47)

I have also tried V-Piano extensively last week.

IMHO, the keybed is TERRIBLE. Soundwise it's not that far from PTQ, at least when comparing it on the connected loudspeakers in the music shop. But the keybed, man, what a letdown.

Hard work and guts!

EvilDragon wrote:

I have also tried V-Piano extensively last week.

IMHO, the keybed is TERRIBLE. Soundwise it's not that far from PTQ, at least when comparing it on the connected loudspeakers in the music shop. But the keybed, man, what a letdown.

Very strange... Cause I played it in the music shop few days ago and then compared it to new Yamaha CP1 and Nord Piano. To my fingers V-piano was clearly a winner. Obviously these opinions are matter of taste and habit. Like sound. Soundwise those professional manufacturers are closer to each other than before; IMO Roland has improved their quality when Yamaha hasn't done much anything...

When you can't do a fast key repeat sequence, you kinda ask yourself are your fingers too weak, after 20 years of playing? Man, I couldn't do a key-repeat on V-Piano. I can do it on my 100 year old upright very well. Who's to blame?

Hard work and guts!

You're maybe right: many digital pianos have big problems with fast repetition. I've heard that new Korg SV-1 is the worst case here. On the other hand Roland has tried to improve it with their V-piano: you don't have to release keys to all the way up to make it sound and this should make it easier to play repetitions, I don't know.

I was speaking more about overall feeling of it: to my fingers V-pianos touch is good and this escapement is also very nice.

(now were're slipping off-road again....)

True, maybe we should go back to the topic, sorry for derailing. I was just spelling out my, now confirmed, underwhelming by the V-Piano.

Hard work and guts!

Sorry, one more question: what digital piano has a good action? Just curious...

To me Kawai MP8 wins the whole thing. Even MP5-II with non-wood keys is still great.

Hard work and guts!

1+ for the Kawai keyboards. To me Kawai is hands down making the best keyboard instruments these days in terms of feel. Yamaha and Roland, with each new keyboard, seem locked into slightly improving upon their previous model.

Maybe I'm being too harsh--I haven't played all of the latest Rolands and Yamahas. But I do find that when I go into a music store, I experiment with the Rolands and Yamahas and ask myself the extent to which they feel like a piano. With the Kawai instruments, I usually find myself playing more--the keys just immediately feel right, even on their "lower end" keyboards, like the EP3 and the MP5. Haven't tried one with PianoTeq yet, however.

The attacks of Pianoteq actually sound more natural to me than V-Piano, in general.  (I am basing this mostly on recordings, although I have briefly played a V-Piano) However, V-Piano has more of the steely/wiry sound.

Greg.

if you play the v-piano through a really good set of closed headphones, you will be amazed at how real it sounds, and how broad the spectrum of timbres you can achieve with the different pianos and hammer hardness, key touch sensitivity, and EQ settings.  I emphasize the headphones comment- because i think playing it through external speakers sounds much more synthetic- but i find that true of all sampled and modeled pianos... I own one, its not perfect, but i love playing it- and i play it all the time, and if nothing else all the playing is improving my piano skills. I used to spend all my time screwing around with the setting of my sampled pianos, now, i'm comfortable just playing.... And i sort of understand what Evil Dragon is saying about the action- i actually like it because to me it is very fast.  but it also has a shallow "throw" (is that the term?) vs a real piano- and it makes it seems somewhat "hard" at the bottom of the stroke.  so to some, it might lack cushion and seem unreal.  I haven't used it as a controller, i would like to eventually run PTQ threw it someday.  i wonder if that would introduce more latency than i could tolerate, because that is also something i no longer think about...   btw,  Roland sucks at communications, i've sent their support people emails and never had one answered. They could use someone from PTQ to manage their user sites

Interesting comments about the V-Piano.

I've been using the same headphones for testing DPs, and playing my Roland KR7 (have had the 'phones since 1994).

I tried the V-Piano a few months ago using these same 'phones, and what struck me was how similar the mid range was to my KR7.  I used the default grand (can't recall the name).

This was not good at all, as the weak mid range is why I'm using Pianoteq.

Glenn

It's interesting about the perceived shallow throw of the Roland - this is not the first time I've seen this comment.  I've actually measured the white key travel of a RD700GX at 9.5mm (although with an uncontrolled down pressure)  and this is commensurate with some concert grand piano actions. I wonder whether there is something about the feel that makes it feel shallow, even though it is not shallow. (not particularly shallow, in any case, in my opinion). I'm assuming the V-Piano has the same throw as the RD700GX. (I realise the V has the PHAIII and the GX has the PHAII with escapement)

When I measure a Yamaha GH action, it's 10mm, which is only a very small increase over the Roland.

Greg.

re: Glen/ Skip comments.  i admit one of the main reasons i like v-piano is because of the seemingly rapid tonal decay (which can be tweaked/ lengthened)vs lets say, pianoteq- which to me has a much longer decay.  i play a lot of diminished/ augmented chordings and i've always felt a shorter decay and a sound that was almost a little "percussive" worked better for that.  whereas for legato style and perhaps classical playing the longer decay is richer.....? when i listen to ptq demos, i find myself very much liking the classical pieces but intensely disliking any jazz or pop music played with it.  but i admit, and perhaps others feel the same- the human part of all this is the most complicated piece of the equation.  some days a setting will sound absolutely wonderful to me, and i feel like i've solved the murder mystery.  and then a day later, it seems to be really lacking..... and i wonder if its really because my eardrum isn't vibrating quite right that day or i need more caffeine or i just need to blow my noise and clear out my sinus cavities.  its so very, very subjective- again, very human...  regarding the "throw"-  perhaps i'm only reacting to/ being influenced by evil dragon's  and others comments, as i say i like the action much better than any other DP (and for that matter even my small steinway)...

boehnbr wrote:

re: Glen/ Skip comments.  i admit one of the main reasons i like v-piano is because of the seemingly rapid tonal decay (which can be tweaked/ lengthened)vs lets say, pianoteq- which to me has a much longer decay.

I'd agree about the longer decay in Pianoteq - I'll repeat what I've noted previously - I find the decay too long.  But I'll admit it may be somewhat a result of my use of the damper pedal (having always been a bit lazy, I use it too much I suppose).

However, I've always wished that the higher notes on an AP did sustain longer, but I suppose years of playing an AP has conditioned my perception of what the sustain/decay "should" be like.

The beauty of Pianoteq is that we can design our own pianos - we're no longer stuck with the limitations that piano builders have struggled with for a few hundred years.

Visiting my piano re-builder friend yesterday (he has a gorgeous seven foot 1915 Heintzman to die for, but I digress), he pointed out that the Heintzman used a high tension scaling.  I asked him what he meant.  "High tension scaling uses 180 pounds tension in each string - low tension pianos like the Yamahas, use 170 lbs).  You learn something everyday if you listen.

While 180 lb doesn't seem terribly high, when one multiplies this by the number of strings, one wonders how they managed to build pianos without an iron frame (or one realize why the first pianos were so weak).

Glenn

Since Modartt's Pianoteq uses algorithms to make its sound (though I won't pretend to know how this is achieved), it seems to me that the software would only be limited by the equations that can be put together. They've already produced a very good range of sounds form an acoustic grand piano, to an electric piano and the sound of bells etc.. So I wouldn't have thought that the software has reached its limit. I would think the potential would be limitless. Limited only the knowledge of the programmer.

I have wondered how the sound is achieved by the use of mathematics in physical modelling. What makes a piano string sound like a piano string compared to a bell sounding like a bell.

How is it coded? By hand then amended? or is software used that can translate the sound a given instrument and then convert it into mathematical equations? Is the process similar to those companies where their software uses samples recorded from a piano to create sound files, but instead of recording sound files, convert the sound and all it properties into mathematical equations? I wouldn't expect Modartt to reveal how it makes Pianoteq, but I find their approach fascinating.

Last edited by DonSmith (18-07-2010 07:38)

Higher order differential equations, my friend.

Hard work and guts!

don't ask!

I was just thinking about the original question and wondering, which part of such equations create that real piano sound, or that woody effect everyone keeps talking about? I wouldn't have thought that this was unobtainable. It seem like it would only take a few relative adjustments, a shade here, or colouring of the sound there. It seems to me that the core work has already been achieved.

Last edited by DonSmith (30-05-2010 16:03)

DonSmith wrote:

I was just thinking about the original question and wondering, which part of such equations create that real piano sound, or that woody effect everyone keeps talking about? I wouldn't have thought that this was unobtainable. It seem like it would only take a few relative adjustments, a shade here, or colouring of the sound there. It seems to me that the core work has already been achieved.

agreed

I haven't visited this topic which I have created since my last vist because I thought it was already agreed that Pianoteq is constantly evolving product and may (will) eventually reach a better sound in future.

I see there are some discussions regarding the meaning of "woody". Unfortunately I am currently without a piano and waiting for Kawai CA-63 to arrive (I am intending to use it with Ivory) and after that I will make some comparisons of short piano phrases and sequences in the middle range of the keyboard where Pianoteq creates the feeling of you playing something of metal origin and another with Synthogy Ivory which has the captured sound of real piano. I suppose "wood" is not actually a description of the real piano sound but is used mostly to imply the opposite of "metal". Probably because a real piano is made of wood and metal and there is subconscious relation between its sound and the materials it's made of.

I've heard the description "metallic sound" even for real pianos and I think the other side of spectrum where "non-metallic" sound resides is simply called "woody" as a reflection of one's perception on balance between wood and metal in a piano.

Last edited by CyberGene (01-06-2010 17:28)

Could it be that the differential equations are providing a "solution" that is too perfect?  Pianos are constructed extremely precisely, but they're still made of materials that always have imperfections. Do those imperfections make acoustic pianos sound "real" and give them their personality? I know Pianoteq has many settings to make it sound less mathematically perfect, but could more be done with the material modeling? Grow some virtual trees to get a realistic wood grain and varying density? :-)

Or maybe try an analytical approach.  Model a piano as exactly as possible to a real physical piano in an anechoic chamber and compare the two sound waveforms.. I think they used to do something similar at Cornell in the early days of ray tracing to verify their mathematical models. It just takes a ton of work (and money) to get the physical and virtual environments similar enough that a comparison gives any useful information.

"Pianos are constructed extremely precisely, but they're still made of materials that always have imperfections"

That's why I'm actually building my own virtual piano. I've try the pianoteq demo and really, in my opinion, the sound is lifeless, and pretty much horrible, especially if you listen it with an headphone. Stereo is strange, there is a gap in the middle range and I think modartt use a little bit of samples ( for the hammer and resonance things). In my opinion, pianoteq is build with a lot of compromise and is far from reality although they talk about "true modelling". Pianoteq sound like a piano but is not warm and generous like a real one. Electrics add-ons sounds better. 

If you are interesting, there is some demo from my virtual piano (piano sonata KV 576 -I can join the midi file for those who want to compare) to listen to on my website : http://www.myosismusic.net/   

Sorry for my english.

dge, I don't want to be rude but what you've done doesn't sound realistic at all. To me it sounds like a sound coming from toy pianos, probably "Tuba pretending sound". Mayber you're on the right way and in future you will produce realistic sound the same way Pianoteq is evolving.

dge wrote:

and I think modartt use a little bit of samples ( for the hammer and resonance things).

Only for string noise in note attacks. Resonances are COMPLETELY MODELLED. Do your research before posting false claims.

If stereo sounds weird to you, you have to tweak microphone positions a little. If you're using headphones, then you switch the output mode to BINAURAL, and suddenly the sound is vastly better!

Seems to me like you didn't read manual at all.

And sorry, Pianoteq sounds much better than your piano by hundreds of miles. You need a LOT, and I really mean A FREAKING LOT more to do to make it sound as real as Pianoteq is. My 15 year old Korg X5D has better piano sound than this!

What's saddest is that you registered to this forum only to bash Pianoteq. Shame on you! 

Last edited by EvilDragon (02-06-2010 18:04)
Hard work and guts!

dge wrote:

"If you are interesting, there is some demo from my virtual piano (piano sonata KV 576 -I can join the midi file for those who want to compare) to listen to on my website : http://www.myosismusic.net/   

Sorry for my english.

Well done! Though I don't think its in the same league as Pianoteq, I guess you have to start somewhere. Not bad. It would be interesting to see how you develop the software, to see whether you could get that Steinway, Bosendorfer and Upright sound.

One question is, how far do you think physical modelling can go in regards to achieving that ultra realistic piano sound? Is it limited?

I'm happy with Pianoteq though!

TO EVIL DRAGON:

-Only for string noise in note attacks.

That's what I would say. So there is samples, and that's why the sound is strange for me. It's a mixture of differents elements, and this is the first thing I have heard. 

-If stereo sounds weird to you, you have to tweak microphone positions a little. If you're using headphones, then you switch the output mode to BINAURAL, and suddenly the sound is vastly better!

Probably.

-Seems to me like you didn't read manual at all.

I've read the pianoteq 2 manual. But I've read much more on piano on the web. and I'm not a scientist. I'm just in love with sound.

-And sorry, Pianoteq sounds much better than your piano by hundreds of miles. You need a LOT, and I really mean A FREAKING LOT more to do to make it sound as real as Pianoteq is. My 15 year old Korg X5D has better piano sound than this!

Thanks for your compliment. But this is YOUR opinion. What about your own piano model design ? Does it sound better? I'd like to hear it. About mine, it's a personal wish rather than a commercial one. And I don't pretend to make a better model, and I'm not making a MODEL. It only will be different, it will sound different, and he will probably have those things pianoteq doesn't have and mine will not have those things pianoteq have ! So , i'm not making a war, I'm just answering to my ear. I don't like how pianoteq sound probably because of the synthesis method they use. However I love the concept, and Modartt have all my respect. They push me to the direction I'm taking.

-What's saddest is that you registered to this forum only to bash Pianoteq. Shame on you!

I'm just curious, and I want to share my obsession and interest about piano emulation. I've no shame. I feel free. If you  don't, that's your problem . I will post in other topic if I want regardless of negative opinion about me. Pianoteq is a reference and I think it's one of the best digital musical idea although I don't like the sound. I don't "bash" pianoteq.

The saddest thing is the tone of your answer. Talking like you canno't make things happens. That's my opinion.

Regards

-->>TO DONSMITH.

Thanks for your comments. Glad you find it interesting. As I don't speak english very well, I'm not sure to understand very well your question. I' think you imagine that I am a physician ! I'm not so my answer is : if pianoteq is exactly the reproduction of physical phenomenon (?) , the answer is yes, physical modelling have reach it's limit. But, there is a lot of phenomenon that don't exist in pianoteq because of polyphony. They made a lot of compromise , it's an evidence. If they don't you could play a maximum of two notes at the same time . Acoustic is very complex and CPU intensive to emulate. I think we have to wait the 10th generation of piano and for more powerfull  computers. 

So the question should be : does your ear appreciate this sound or not? Sometimes my ear are much more pleased with a simple pianotoy than a sophisticated Harpsichord.

About my plugin, I don't use digital waveguide for the strings. I use traditional  synthesis and if my plug doesn't sound as a reallly real piano, or emulate a particular one, it will have a lot of different color and tonal character.

Regards.

Last edited by dge (02-06-2010 23:30)

CyberGene wrote:

dge, I don't want to be rude but what you've done doesn't sound realistic at all. To me it sounds like a sound coming from toy pianos, probably "Tuba pretending sound". Mayber you're on the right way and in future you will produce realistic sound the same way Pianoteq is evolving.

I really love toy pianos. Tuba sound? I see what you are talking about. In low medium frequencies.  I 'm working on it.

Last edited by dge (02-06-2010 23:38)

I remember a great BBC documentary on synthesizers way back in the 70s.  It ended with the interviewer asking about the possibility of synthesizing a piano. The synthesist laughed, saying it was not possible. I do remember him commenting that "lots of oscillators and lots of phasers would be needed".

Greg.

dge wrote:

About my plugin, I don't use digital waveguide for the strings. I use traditional  synthesis

With Synthedit, I guess - an excellent tool for prototyping, BTW!

and if my plug doesn't sound as a reallly real piano, or emulate a particular one, it will have a lot of different color and tonal character.

All synthesizers (hardware or software) have different color and tonal character! The question is:

- either you use synthesis to create completely new sounds, and nobody will say they are bad: people will like or dislike them, period.

- or you claim to emulate existing instruments, and you run the risk of being torn to pieces by a lot of people 

In other words: fais gaffe où tu mets les pieds