Topic: Some "heretic" Questions

With version 3.6 pianoteq introduced the 4th "hard coded" Grand Piano (K1, C3, M3, YC5). Why does the simple modelling of these different characteristics fail (today)?
Is it a math/algorithm-problem or just a marketing-decision?
Wouldn't it be a good goal to develop one "Master Grand" with all parameters necessary for just modelling any of the characteristic sounds mentioned above and many others?

Besides, i love pianoteq. It's the only digital piano i can play for hours without being bored by stereotypic sample-sounds.

Re: Some "heretic" Questions

As I write this, there have been eleven or twelve views, but no replies.

Perhaps some clarification of what is meant by pfiff would help elicit some responses (other than my questions):

- how does modelling of these different characteristics fail?
- is it a math/algorithm problem or marketing?

Glenn

So many knobs and sliders to modify any aspect of the virtual piano, but when you start (example!) with the C3 as origin, the sound of the K1 is not reachable by only modifying the parameters.

If was possible, and desireble to create a multi milion brands in just one model, nobaody would be able to adjust, cause tehre would be so much things.

Also the brands of Grand piano on market have no information about each thing, each piece, each wood piece hardness and fibers location in each small portion.

This talking of all piamos worldwide in just a single digital model it's neaqrly impossible.  !!!

Maybe in 100 years, who knows...   ?    If Philippe take vitamins and make regular exercises...

Last edited by Beto-Music (25-04-2010 18:36)

It may be possible to start with C3 and get close to K1 in the pro version, where the parameters are adjustable per key, and perhaps more importantly, you can adjust every partial of every note. But that's a lot of parameters, so many in fact, that I think it would only be possible with some software tools that can analyze real sounds and extract the parameters automatically. I guess that's pretty much what Modartt do!

However, I am curious if it would be easy to add the ability to morph between any of the pianos, eg 20% of K1 + 50% of C3 + 30% of M3.

Last edited by mooks (25-04-2010 19:16)

Beto-Music wrote:

This talking of all piamos worldwide in just a single digital model it's neaqrly impossible.  !!!

Since (or if?) Pianoteq is entirely based on a model (physical and/or mathematical), all characteristics should be defined as coefficients in the model equations.

Now my question is: are various piano brands physically so different that they really need different models/equation sets ( regardless of parameter values)?

Without disclosing industrial secrets, can MODARTT give us a few examples?

iaoranaemaeva wrote:

Now my question is: are various piano brands physically so different that they really need different models/equation sets ( regardless of parameter values)?

I think there are clues in another thread topic:

Refer to the quotes on my post on the topic:  Future for Pianoteq - less "simplification" (post 19).

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=1394

If it is true that real time modelling of everything that affects the sound is beyond the capability of present day computers, then it would seem that a number of complex computations must be "preset" or "pre-done".

In other words, some equations/algorithms must be simplified for a particular piano sound, and if these were made completely adjustable there would be too many computations and/or variables to compute in real time for every possible configuration of piano.

Also consider this - - it has been said on this forum that the vibraphone emulation is excellent.  Could it be concluded that the emulation is much simpler than that for a piano?  And that the proof is in the superb sound quality?

The vibraphone should be a much simpler instrument to emulate because it has no soundboard which eliminates sympathetic resonance in the calculations, there are no pedals which introduce more sound variations, and there is virtually no action noise.

All of these (particularly sympathetic resonance) require more complex calculations which are not required for a vibraphone - which seems to imply that more computational effort can be applied to the sound of vibes - and tends to imply that our computers can't yet perfectly emulate a piano.  I don't think this is debatable - for all the excellence in Pianoteq, particularly in playability, many still prefer the sound of samples.  While sample users may not generally be pianists (my suspicion because they often miss the incongruities of sample music), they are not stupid, and they are not tone deaf.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (25-04-2010 20:20)

Glenn,

I think what you said makes perfect sense.

pfiff wrote:

Wouldn't it be a good goal to develop one "Master Grand" with all parameters necessary for just modelling any of the characteristic sounds mentioned above and many others?

There are too many parameters for being able to provide a reasonably friendly interface for managing them. We did not want to have Pianoteq look like an industry computation software that requires a manual with thousands of pages and several months of learning. Pianoteq is aimed to musicians, not to industry engineers.

iaoranaemaeva wrote:

For each piano we build a new model. An example is the soundboard: there are more parameters than those available through the interface. For those who are familiar with scientific computation, think how much data is used for describing the finite element model of a given piano soundboard.

Philippe Guillaume wrote:

For each piano we build a new model. An example is the soundboard: there are more parameters than those available through the interface. For those who are familiar with scientific computation, think how much data is used for describing the finite element model of a given piano soundboard.

I can understand that . In other words, the models inside our beloved Pianoteq software are not physical models, but higher level (abstract) models (projections of the former), much more compact, which result in instrument specific implementations.

Merci Philippe .
Alain

Alain, the models inside Pianoteq are physical models, because they are  governed by the equations of physics (mechanics).

Michael H wrote:

Glenn,

I think what you said makes perfect sense.

Absolutely!

Alain

Alain, the models inside Pianoteq are physical models, because they are  governed by the equations of physics (mechanics).

The models which they are derived from, OK. But, as you explained in your example, the models inside Pianoteq no longer represent the behaviour of each element of the soundboard. Let's say that they are still physical models, but simplified, as are most physical laws we have been taught at school  (if only because linearity does not exist in nature).

BEWARE  !!!!!!!!!!!!

Moadartt will soon realize and very special new add-on.  A modelled  clarinet.

But it's special, as it's a mystery irish green clarinet :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekx3unEY...re=related

Beware...

pfiff wrote:

With version 3.6 pianoteq introduced the 4th "hard coded" Grand Piano (K1, C3, M3, YC5). Why does the simple modelling of these different characteristics fail (today)?
Is it a math/algorithm-problem or just a marketing-decision?

Besides, i love pianoteq. It's the only digital piano i can play for hours without being bored by stereotypic sample-sounds.

My guess would have been that there are variables not suited to being "set free" for users to change.
I have very little idea what they actually are, but there are probably several that would lead to instruments nothing like pianos if not kept under some sort of "factory control".
The interactions between some of them probably need to be properly managed in order to stay with "piano like" sounds.

Pianoteq is not a general synth, though it is not hard to imagine that the underlying models and math could be adapted to become a platform for synth development.

I suspect that Philippe wants Pianoteq (NOTE that name) to remain a very good piano emulator, not something that can be stretched in every conceivable dimension to emulate anything/everything.

There are too many parameters for being able to provide a reasonably friendly interface for managing them. We did not want to have Pianoteq look like an industry computation software that requires a manual with thousands of pages and several months of learning. Pianoteq is aimed to musicians, not to industry engineers.

Too many parameters - I certainly believe that.  Even now, a good understanding of the physics of the piano is almost essential to get the best out of Pianoteq (without floundering).

FEM or FEA only became practical with the advent of computers.  Basically it's not a complex analysis, just extremely (infinitely ?)tedious when done longhand.

A comment to the comment by iaoranaemaeva (good grief that's hard to type) - I use analysis equations on a daily basis in structural engineering, but they are almost always simplified approximations that are close enough.  The mathematics of music is much more complex.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

A comment to the comment by iaoranaemaeva (good grief that's hard to type)

You may shorten my pseudo to iaorana, Glenn, or even iaora (it means "hello!", while maeva means "welcome!")

I use analysis equations on a daily basis in structural engineering, but they are almost always simplified approximations that are close enough.  The mathematics of music is much more complex.

Sure! 35 years ago, I spent sleepless nights trying to extract pitch and envelopes from guitar strings while developing the first guitar synth
ever marketed (Digitone ORS GM-201) - yes, before Roland...

Glenn NK wrote:

(...) Also consider this - - it has been said on this forum that the vibraphone emulation is excellent.  Could it be concluded that the emulation is much simpler than that for a piano?  And that the proof is in the superb sound quality?

I think so. You can get quite reasonable vibraphone sounds from an FM synthesizer (as FM8), while piano sounds from such synthesizers fail to fool one's ear for a second.

Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

A harp also it's very simpler than a piano, as have no soundboard.  I supose a modelled harp would be a perfect instrument for pianoteq.

By the way, I want to rise this question:

What other instrument would you like to have on pianoteq  ?

Please opine.

The classical harp would be nice.  While the classical harp does have a sounding board, Pianoteq should be able to model this quite nicely as I don't believe I've ever seen one with dampers.  But they do have pedals.

According to Wikipedia, the present form of the classical harp was perfected by Sebastian Erard (it seems that pianos were secondary to Erard).

http://www.uk-piano.org/history/erard.html

http://www.pianorestaurateur.nl/erard_biografie.htm

Come to think of it, why don't we have a Pleyel piano?

Glenn

Beto-Music wrote:

Upright bass.  With MIDI control for glissando, vibrato and pluck it could be an awesome duo with Pianoteq -just add brushes for the combo...

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Sousaphone would be good...

Actually, I'd second Upright Bass, awesome instrument..

Last edited by Michael H (27-04-2010 02:03)

Ever since hearing Monsoon's "Ever So Lonely" I've been quite partial (if not overtoned!) to the Sitar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW_alnUe6TQ

Greg.

Last edited by skip (27-04-2010 04:17)

Beto-Music wrote:

I think Pianoteq should stick to instruments that can only be PLAYED optimally and realistically using a keyboard controller. IMO this excludes for example wind and brass instruments, and bowed instruments. But also double bass, harp, and guitar should not be played on a keyboard. They should be plucked with fingers-on-strings for the best result.

Playablility is what Pianoteq makes stand out against the (sampled) competition, and why I like it so much.

No need to agree with me, but this is what I think.

Last edited by m.tarenskeen (27-04-2010 22:14)

m.tarenskeen wrote:

I think Pianoteq should stick to instruments that can only be PLAYED optimally and realistically using a keyboard controller.

I vigorously agree!

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
m.tarenskeen wrote:

I think Pianoteq should stick to instruments that can only be PLAYED optimally and realistically using a keyboard controller.

I vigorously agree!

I don't. Harp would be nice.

Well, ok, no contradiction at all - although there may be different ways to pluck harp strings, I think there is as much simplification possible as is needed for realistic harp play on a keyboard. And by now we do have this "strike point" control.
Think of the vibraphone - I guess many strange sounds and noises are possible by striking the plates at the edges or so, but normally you don't need that.

Last edited by Jope (27-04-2010 20:16)
Pianoteq Pro 8.0.0, Organteq 1.6.5, MacBook Pro 16" i9, Mac OS X 13.0.1, Universal Audio Volt 4, Logic Pro X 10.7.5, FM8, Absynth 5, The Saxophones/Clarinets, Reaktor 6 and others

Well although a harp is plucked with the fingers a la guitar, there are no frets like a guitar for the other hand (both hands pluck the strings).

Thus there can be no pitch bends, and no slide noises which can be a large part of a guitar sound.

Guitarists can "nuance" the strings with both hands which affords enormous control of the sound.

I'll have to ask my niece how much tonal control a harpist has - she's an excellent harpist (classical concert type).

Glenn

m.tarenskeen wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I think Pianoteq should stick to instruments that can only be PLAYED optimally and realistically using a keyboard controller. IMO this excludes for example wind and brass instruments. But also double bass, harp, and guitar should not be played on a keyboard. They should be plucked with fingers-on-strings for the best result.

Playablility is what Pianoteq makes stand out against the (sampled) competition, and why I like it so much.

No need to agree with me, but this is what I think.

Me too!!!

sigasa wrote:
m.tarenskeen wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

I think Pianoteq should stick to instruments that can only be PLAYED optimally and realistically using a keyboard controller.  No need to agree with me, but this is what I think.

Me too!!!

The ship has sailed.  We've left the harbor.  We don't have to be limited by traditional paragons.  It's like the health care plan -no one is being forced to buy anything...  but if an upright bass was available, it would be very useful.  Pianoteq is a perfect engine for developing a virtual version.  The nuances are nowhere as extreme as for guitar, and nothing at all like wind instruments.  Sure, there are acoustic plucking techniques that won't be available (& I'm not talking electric bass here with slaps, etc.) but there are acoustic piano techniques that are not available with Pianoteq - I can't reach in and fondle the strings for extraneous sounds, for example.  If there is one additional instrument that stands out as an accompaniment for acoustic piano (besides the human voice), it's got to be the upright.

"Downing a fifth results in diminished capacity."

Cellomangler wrote:

...  but if an upright bass was available, it would be very useful.  Pianoteq is a perfect engine for developing a virtual version.  The nuances are nowhere as extreme as for guitar, and nothing at all like wind instruments.  Sure, there are acoustic plucking techniques that won't be available (& I'm not talking electric bass here with slaps, etc.) but there are acoustic piano techniques that are not available with Pianoteq - I can't reach in and fondle the strings for extraneous sounds, for example.  If there is one additional instrument that stands out as an accompaniment for acoustic piano (besides the human voice), it's got to be the upright.

Going to agree with you - guitar and blown instruments are virtually impossible to model realistically - but bass can be done "good enough".

We used to have a not too bad base in version 2 I believe - at least I used it, as it was as good or better than the bass on my DP.

And after experimenting with piano, drums, and bass a few years ago, I gave up on the drums, and kept the bass.  So I could use another bass.

Glenn

I'm wondering whether Upright Bass is really that easy to model. You really need to hear the wood and the resonance of the chamber, it's a very dominant part of the sound of the instrument.

Sampling an acoustic bass, I believe, is much easier, but responsiveness and realtime control would suffer. My opinion FWIW.

Cellomangler wrote:

...  but if an upright bass was available, it would be very useful.  Pianoteq is a perfect engine for developing a virtual version.  The nuances are nowhere as extreme as for guitar, and nothing at all like wind instruments

I guess you are not a bassplayer? Neither am I, but I have a brother who plays the double bass. He's a great jazz musician who played with many famous Dutch and international Jazz musicians, and will not agree.
Sure, the guitar has more extreme nuances, especially the electric guitar.

But the expressive nuances that are possible with the direct contact from fingers of both hands with the strings of the double bass should not be underestimated. Last week I heard him perform solo - just his bass, nothing else.

If I sometimes need a bass sound for a sequencer track I'm quite happy with a "good enough" sampled instrument. But for a Pianoteq instrument "good enough" is not good enough !

BTW: You can find my bass playing brother here:
http://web.mac.com/contrabart/site/Home.html

Glenn NK wrote:

(...) guitar and blown instruments are virtually impossible to model realistically...

Well, I think they are not, but a completely diifferent approach would be needed. Blown instruments need continuous control by breath controllers or mod wheels or foot controllers. "sample modeling" built some nice and realistically playable instruments (I use Mr. Sax T). They are sample based, but the way how the samples are used lets me believe this would be possible in a completely synthetic way, and they can be played in a way so others think you play the real instrument.
But again, this would hardly fit into what pianoteq is.

Cellomangler wrote:

If there is one additional instrument that stands out as an accompaniment for acoustic piano (besides the human voice), it's got to be the upright.

We probably can agree on it: the more realistic the bass accompaniment, the better for the (jazz) pianist.

But our intention here is not to play double bass: we just need an appropriate synth to help us generate decent bass lines we will use later as accompaniments for our piano rehearsal performances (cf. Doug McKenzie tutorials).

From this perspective, a standard keyboard controller (keys, velocity, aftertouch, expression pedal, pitch bender) that does not allow total expressiveness could meet the need however.

Assuming such a product can easily be developed by MODARTT, what could be their marketing approach for a product that distances itself from Pianoteq "philosophy"?

Personally, I would content myself with 2 innocent functions, embedded in a Pianoteq subsubsubmenu: one for the bass, another one for the drums .......... just kidding

Like myself I like to play (double-)basslines along with the piano play (in split-keyboard-mode)...but it is only meant to support the pianoplay not to act as a solo-instrument. In this case a good sample is more than appropriate. I'm using for example Trilogy from Spectratronics which is by the way (more than) very suitable for playing solo-lines either. Looking at the pictures in the gallery on Spectrasonics website it looks like Tarenskeens brother Bart created a set of the samples for this product
So Yes, let Pianoteq stick to their pianoinstruments and make those better and better (e.g. more powerfull, woody baselines). An upright would be wonderfull indeed although tweaking the Y5 - detuned gets close.

Last edited by hvaartsen (28-04-2010 10:07)

I have to agree with hvaartsen on this one. Modeling is a fascinating science and it's easy to let our imagination fly but we have to remember that the first purpose of pianoteq is 'piano'. And on this, altough I really like the results so far, I think the road is still long..
Obiously I'm not speaking from a commercial point of view but from a pianist one

cheers

Glenn NK wrote:

guitar and blown instruments are virtually impossible to model realistically

Virtually, may be , but practically, they are - I mean there is no physical reason they could not be modelled!

Regarding the couple player-instrument, it's another story: how could a keyboard act like a guitar "user interface" ?

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
Glenn NK wrote:

guitar and blown instruments are virtually impossible to model realistically

Virtually, may be , but practically, they are - I mean there is no physical reason they could not be modelled!

Regarding the couple player-instrument, it's another story: how could a keyboard act like a guitar "user interface" ?

Yes, they can be modelled, but if I want a realistic sax sound, I would have to use a wind controller (cost?).  I suspect they might be just as hard to play as a sax.

But wait a minute, I don't play the sax/clarinet/trumpet so how could I put the right breath control into the wind controller?  I have enough trouble with the only instrument I play (the piano).

As for the guitar, well about the only thing that plays like a guitar is a guitar.

Yes, we can make the sound very similar, but the nuances are another matter completely.

It seems that the simplest instruments to emulate are the piano and the organ - instruments that use a keyboard.   And no one has perfected that yet.  We've a long way to go.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

(...) Yes, they can be modelled, but if I want a realistic sax sound, I would have to use a wind controller (cost?).  I suspect they might be just as hard to play as a sax.

But wait a minute, I don't play the sax/clarinet/trumpet so how could I put the right breath control into the wind controller?  I have enough trouble with the only instrument I play (the piano).Glenn

Believe me - when you have this mouthpiece in your mouth, you automatically do the right action while playing the keyboard. I don't play real wind instruments, but with abovementioned "Mr. Sax T" it worked perfectly.
Having said that, I still think Pianoteq's nature is to emulate percussive instruments where some string or plate or bell or whatever is being excited by stroke or pluck and then left alone vibrating until it is damped.

Jope wrote:

Believe me - when you have this mouthpiece in your mouth, you automatically do the right action while playing the keyboard. I don't play real wind instruments, but with abovementioned "Mr. Sax T" it worked perfectly.

Do you mean to say that you can do pitch bends and change the tone of a sax that will convince a sax player?

How about the opening line of Rhapsody in Blue where the clarinet plays a continual pitch bend that runs through three and one half octaves?  Or do the same thing that a trombone can do?

Wow.

Glenn

Glenn NK wrote:

Do you mean to say that you can do pitch bends and change the tone of a sax that will convince a sax player?

How about the opening line of Rhapsody in Blue where the clarinet plays a continual pitch bend that runs through three and one half octaves?  Or do the same thing that a trombone can do?

Wow.

Glenn

Of course there are limits. It hardly can replace the real instrument in all aspects. But it has good pitch bend behaviour, good glides which are velocity dependent in speed, extra control inputs for growl, tongue flutter and subharmonics and a very good breath controller response not only in dynamics but also in sound. I never thought this would be possible with a saxophone, but it is a good emulation.

Are you forgetting  the pedals ?????

Don't think in pedals as always piano pedals. For a new modelled instrument the pedals can get another function, in try to replace or compensate the limiations of "hand-playing keys".

If we imagine a foot controller, with maybe 8 pedals, the possibilities are very bright. One pedal to change the behavior or how the software interprete a key strike.
Continuous, vibrato, and other things that I don't even know the name, present in instruments like sax, violins, bassoon, flutes etc

I once suggested modartt to add extra options for pedals, like vibrato.

Beto-Music wrote:

If we imagine a foot controller, with maybe 8 pedals, the possibilities are very bright.

How many feet do you own?

Do you have 88 fingers ???

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

If we imagine a foot controller, with maybe 8 pedals, the possibilities are very bright.

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

Ah, the agony of defeet...

Glenn NK wrote:

It seems that the simplest instruments to emulate are the piano and the organ - instruments that use a keyboard.

It looks obvious, but many people didn't realize it!

And no one has perfected that yet.  We've a long way to go.

Yes - fortunately

iaoranaemaeva wrote:
Beto-Music wrote:

AGO players seem to have 25, home organists 13.

Is 8 fingers and 2 thumbs for 88 keys now suddenly a PROBLEM ?
(-:

aandrmusic wrote:

AGO players seem to have 25, home organists 13.

Is 8 fingers and 2 thumbs for 88 keys now suddenly a PROBLEM ?
(-:

I had a Hammond that had 12 bass pedals, REALLY dumb idea.

Good grief, give others a chance to build good natural instrument emulations, too - percussive or wind driven or bowed, tonal or noisy... It doesn't have to be Modartt at all... And it doesn't have to be physical modeling - there are so many ways of waveshaping and filtering - the result counts. I think control is it what makes instruments convince even if they don't sound like known real instruments.