Topic: standalone on same computer as sequencer

I'm attempting to run Pianoteq with Logic 5.5 on the same computer as a standalone instrument outside of Logic. So far it doesn't seem to work. Whenever I choose a hardware mdi port, it wreaks havoc on my system. Pianoteq works well whenever I choose "all input devices" in the midi configuration window, but then I can't pick external synths without Pianoteq playing also.I'd love to run Pianoteq seperately so I can use other VST instruments within Logic at the same time. Thanks for input.

Re: standalone on same computer as sequencer

I have no Logic Express 8 and I've run both it and Pianoteq standalone with no troubles. I had a demo copy of Logic Express 5 or 6 at one point and had to rip it out almost instantly: its drivers messed up everything.

why don't you simply use Pianoteq alongside other instruments inside Logic itself? It works fine here, with Logic 5.5 (on PC). I don't think you will be able to use it as standalone since Logic automatically uses all available MIDI ports for itself...

Thanks so much for the replies !!! I'm as much of a tweaker as someone who appreciates music and sound. I'm attempting to maximize resources in my home studio. I enjoy layering sounds as I play in real time. I added a Quadcore to my system and have been seeking a way to use Pianoteq outside of Logic within that computer,since Logic5.5 resources are limited. The comment about Logic using all available midi ports was the answer. After reading that, I ran win.ini and deactivated the ports on my Delta 1010LT within Logic. This allowed me to select an active port {unitor 15} within Logic for an external midi device. I then ran a midi cable from Unitor 15 to my delta 1010LT and selected the delta 1010 LT in the midi preferences of Pianoteq. Seems to work really well and will allow me to select another VST within Logic for real time layering. Out of curiousity, I opened my System Performance window in Logic and saw no activity on the meter while running Pianoteq externally. Running Pianoteq full blown {256 voices} within Logic as a VST would cause my Audio Meter to register about one third. I hope this set up will allow more resources within Logic. I'm guessing that before I deactivated the port, my system had a midi feedback loop that would cause problems. Thanks Again.