Topic: Wishlist for Pianoteq V2.x

Regarding global assignment of MIDI parameters in Pianoteq: there are the following ideas that came up for me:

- Assign a MIDI configuration in a default setting that can be used, but may be skipped.

- MIDI file playback: possibility of changing playback speed (as e.g. the Sound Canvas player has it).

- FXP selection in main menu, not in a submenu (faster access).

- Metronome: great help, but a articulated '1' would make it even better.

There may be some more things that other users could add.

Rainer

Re: Wishlist for Pianoteq V2.x

Here a couple more:

A)
It would be nice if pianoteq were to remember the last directories for FXP and midifiles seperately. today If I load a midi file, and then I open the FXP load dialog, that the midi file's direcory is used ... This is not very convenient for me - I keep a constant directory for my FXP's. The midi directory is totally different.
In short - I would have like two "last-directory" variables, instead of one.

B)
I would be nice to have drag&drop capabilities of midi files onto pianoteq stand-alone. This way I can simply open an explorer to search the midi files.

thanks
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

I am pretty use the last directory thing is pretty common in the industry. As in, NOT remembering it...

I wrote mainly about the drag and drop midi-files idea. Have you considered using your sequencer... [REAPER is best for many, i feel]... and just dropping the midifiles onto the track WHILE having PianoTEQ loaded as a VST...

I think it would bog the VST down badly to have this feature inside it...

best wishes!

Drag'n drop of midi and fxp files will be available in next version (midi files are only for the standalone version of course), that was a nice idea. The file dialogs will also remember their respective directories, thanks for these suggestions !

Well, since we're on the topic of MIDI, I'd like all parameters available to MIDI. Specifically these ones that I can't yet map:

lid position
sustain pedal noise
key release noise
key release duration
advance through presets
advance through diapsons
advance through temperaments
output
random
undo
redo

It's not so much that I'm dying to flap the lid up and down during a performance (maybe a 'lid noise' parameter ) but it's so much easier to experiment and compare if I can do it from my keyboard.

It would also be useful to have a comprehensive default set of MIDI mappings, including the overtones and output panel; a full default set would make it easier to share controller templates.

By the way, I love the multiple undos.

Thanks Julien!

I have another item on my wishlist, but it's heavier: the ability to control the relative weight across the keyboard - for instance make the the upper notes stronger, or softer, etc. Graphically I could imagine another graph aside the EQ, and VEL, where the X axis is the entire keyboard range. Alternately, it could be three sliders: highs, mids, lows.

thanks,
Eran

M-Audio Profire 610 / Roland Fp-3 / Reaper / PianoTeq!
www.myspace.com/etalmor

As someone suggested in Northern Sound Source,it would be a good idea to have
a button to switch off the sound without affecting the rest of the parameters (ie sympathetic resonance, global resonance etc.) in Pianoteq.I am not sure if this is technically feasible.
Pianoteq is unique more for its other "accoustic piano" features rather than its sound
This way many users could improve on their other software pianos with the added features of Pianoteq.
This would be a win-win situation for all parties, including the users.

i wanna say something about the look...
the graphic interface is certainly efficient, but when you hear such an authentic sound, you logically expect to see a real piano. don't you?
i suggest to design a new interface that looks like a rea piano with wood around and big keys
i think that would highly maximize the authenticity impression users get
"hey i'm using a real piano!"...

Michel

I just bought a Kurzweil MIDIboard, so some performance parameters that were once blocked for me are now available:

velocity (the usual touch sensitivity--how fast the key is going at some point)
touch (how hard you're pushing the key when it hits)
release velocity (how quickly the key is released--how fast your finger moves away)
channel aftertouch (pressing the key after the initial hit--only one message per channel)
polyphonic aftertouch (pressing the key after the initial hit--one message per key)

If these could be mapped to Pianoteq parameters it would further increase ptq's expressive power. Examples:

touch mapped to hammer hardness
release velocity mapped to key release time and noise
channel aftertouch mapped to volume
poly aftertouch mapped to individual note volume or pitch

I lie awake and fantasize about using poly aftertouch to bend the pitch of individual notes in a chord like pedal steel guitar.

I'm wondering what kind of midi message your MIDIboard is sending for the 'touch' parameter -- is it different from poly aftertouch message ? If you have time for that, I would be curious to have a look at a midi file where this feature is used.

About release velocity: it is already implemented in pianoteq 2.0. You have to explicitely enable it in the options/midi menu though, since during the beta tests we found that this release velocity could be blindly trusted (you may have to adjust the 'key release duration' in accordance)

About pitch bending via poly aftertouch: although not done in the latest 2.1 beta, it can be added quite easily.

Thanks!

julien wrote:

I'm wondering what kind of midi message your MIDIboard is sending for the 'touch' parameter -- is it different from poly aftertouch message ? If you have time for that, I would be curious to have a look at a midi file where this feature is used.

Thanks for this. I'm still figuring this controller out (the manual is 170 pages) but I'll try to set it up to send those messages and then record it to a midi file and send it to you. May take a day or two to get to it but I'm very interested and will keep at it.

As to the pitch bending: that would be superb!

Pitchbending for a piano ? i never understood the need for this, Maybe when it could sound as a guitar pitch bend with a slide effect similar to that of a hammer on ?

julien wrote:

After a bit of research, it seems that the touch parameter is used internally. I asked a guy who has had a midiboard since 1990 and this is his description:

The touch parameter doesn't send anything per note,
it's like an adjustment between a more "legato"
playing (tying MIDI note OFF messages to the following
MIDI note ON messages) and a more "staccato"
playing(detaching those same events).

The manual describes it this way:

Touch sets a threshold for note On and Note Off messages. Unlike Attack and release velocities, which affect the characteristics of a note once it's on, the touch slider controls how hard you have to hit the key to turn the note on, and how much you have to let up on the key to turn the note off.

CosmicD wrote:

Pitchbending for a piano ? i never understood the need for this, Maybe when it could sound as a guitar pitch bend with a slide effect similar to that of a hammer on ?

Hardly a need but it could be mighty nice. Three very simple examples:

you play a C sus chord in root position then press harder on the F key to bend it down to E

you're playing a blues: you play a  C minor chord in root position and press harder on the Eb key to bend it up to a 'blues' third (somewhere between the major and minor)

very slight changes in pressure over a sustained chord using a rocking motion would give you very complex and interesting vibrato

Pianoteq isn't a piano but it isn't hard to imagine this being done mechanically on some sort of hideously complex, expensive, and trouble-prone real piano. Pianoteq could do it simply, inexpensively, and dependably.

Last edited by doug (14-06-2007 19:08)

Just bought the software and love it! Absolutely.

Apologies if people have already suggested this, but could the parameters be typed in, in addition to being adjustable with the sliders?  Or maybe there's already a way to do this?

beansoaker wrote:

...could the parameters be typed in, in addition to being adjustable with the sliders?  Or maybe there's already a way to do this?

you can do it: right click on the slider, then type the value and press enter

Oh, and while we're on the interface, a couple of interface requests:

-please give me a way to turn off the help popups--they really get in the way and I stopped reading them months ago--but please keep the MIDI information part of the popup

-please show a MIDI readout for any parameter being adjusted remotely (i.e. from my controller), same as if I used the mouse to adjust it

My wishlist is perhaps more fundamental and less feature-rich that everyone else - mine is more to do with the core sound:

-More wood (far more wood) in the sound.  Many fine well-mic'd grand piano recordings reveal loads of woodiness. It's part of the attack mainly, but has a curious sort of filter effect on the whole sound.  There is just a hint of softwood mallet hitting hollow fruitwood block, in many real grands.  I noticed many users experimenting with layered huge sampled pianos in realtime beside pianoteq to try and recover more wood.  (It works to some extent).

-Tied in with this, more (or somehow different) global resonance & sympathetic resonance.  Whenever I sit down at a big upright piano with the panels removed, even if I simply strum the harp with my finger (sustain pedal on), there's a huge wash of complex resonances.  Pianoteq has loads of this I know, but, there's something not quite grabbing me in the same way as with the real upright.

-Is there anything in chaos theory that might help here?

Cheers!  -Brian.

I just wanted to chime in on the pitch-bend question - I own a clavichord and it's a wonderfully expressive instrument - the per-note bending (called 'bebung' in German) is used to adjust the intonation of intervals and also for an expressive vibrato.  Note that this instrument can only be bent upwards!  A clavichord simulation would be a wonderful extension of pianoteq.  Note that the per note bend is much more useful than a global bend.

obviously there are some improvements possible for the core modelling functionality of Pianoteq: the pedaling, the use of a sample for the the sound of the dampers going up and down - some kind of facility for a more realistic pedal action would be great: of course a full scale pedal controller would be a helpful invention here!

terrific instrument - congratulations

semiquaver wrote:

obviously there are some improvements possible for the core modelling functionality of Pianoteq: the pedaling, the use of a sample for the the sound of the dampers going up and down - some kind of facility for a more realistic pedal action would be great: of course a full scale pedal controller would be a helpful invention here!

PTQ already has damper sound (adjustable under the 'options' popup). If you have a continuous damper pedal, you can do half-pedaling and all that; the trick is to find the pedal. Discussion here: http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=7.

Actually we can feel the limitation of sampled pedal noise in a special situation, a bit hard to happen in a music piece. The sound of pedal don't follow a real pedal behavior if presed slowed, almost stop and keep pressed but acelerated.

Make the test yourself:  (require half pedal ability controller device)

1-Press the pedal normaly. 
   2-Press the pedal very slowly.
   3-Press the pedal extremely slowly.
   4- Press the pedal, stop but keep holding, and restart to press from the point you had stopped.

You will see the limitations. In resume the sound keep going instead of stop.
    Maybe a algorythm could increase the realism even by keeping the sampled approach for pedal.  Anyway why not model the pedal?

For many ones perhaps sounds a bit crazy we here talking about a so exigent test for the pedal, in a way would probably or almost never be used on music, or never noticed.

But why not improve to perfection?  :-)

What about that idea Philippe?

A.D

Hi Beto,
a model is always a compromise between the ideal that we want to reach and the CPU constraints that we have to take into account, and we try to offer the best possible while keeping something that works in realtime. But you must be aware that nothing is definitive, as CPU performances increase from year to year, and our model will follow.
Philippe

Hi all,

My request for a future version would be some upright piano models. I love the richness of the grands, but sometimes yearn for the simple homeliness of a realistic upright piano, with all its creaks an clunks!

Oh, and while I'm here... The unison width feature is nice, but it would be even nicer if it were a bit more random across the entire range, so that when you turn it up high it sounds like an out of tune piano. Realistically, some of the notes would be less out of tune than others, rather than all the notes being equally out of tune. I hope I'm making sense!

Cheers,
Bryan.

Having put some thought into what I really want:

1) I would love Pianoteq to sub-license their software to a major hardware vendor such as Yamaha, so that their superior software can be married to a superior keyboard (such as the GranTouch which uses an actual Yamaha Grand Piano keyboard mechanism with optical recognition)

2) I would quite like the "Una Corda" pedal to be variable like the sustain.  Although in most modern pianos it Una Corda pedal is actually a Duo Corda pedal, you can still create effects by only partially depressing it, mainly because it moves the strings "off" the grooves in the hammers.  Also in some late 19th century music onwards a number of composers actually specified "una", "duo" and "tres" settings for this pedal - Debussy being the first obvious example that comes to mind

3) Many Forte-pianos create a very abnormal "percussive" effect like smashing a giant bell, when played very hard, caused by all the other hammers rising in sympathy to the violence.   (Or at least I assume that it what happens!).  The recordings of Paul Badura-Skoda demonstrate the effect on a number of occasions, in particular in his recording of Schuberts Sonata in D-Major (D850) where it is used to fantastic effect.  I would love this "ability" to be modelled.

4) Range restriction.  This might already be possible.  But older pianos had different ranges.  Now obviously you can just play less notes. But the effect is more subtle because there are no deeper or higher strings available for sympathetic resonance. 

6) Upright modelling.  Uprights have their own sound-world which is often regarded unfairly as inferior, when it is perhaps superior for certain styles of music.  It deserves perserving in the model

8) A feed for external sound, so that sympathetic reverberations can be created.  Plus the ability to connect multiple Pianoteqs together for when playing with two or more pianos.   For instance, a Violin sounds different played next to a piano, than away from it, particular as the piano is playing or the sustain pedal depressed.

9) New Product! Plucked keyboards.  Then we could have the Harpischord, Spinet, Virginal, perhaps even the Clavichord (although I suppose this is more of a Piano/hammer like instrument)

Cosmetically, the options menu would be better placed up on the top, in between the file, & help menu.  It makes more sense and would feel  easier to get to those options.

I'd like to retain the options I choose.  Now, they revert to the default options every time I start Pianoteq. (as does output, which defaults to headphones - what I hardly use on startup!)

I'd also put the FXP load & save commands on the File menu (beneath the MIDI file commands, for example), making it much easier to save & load self made pianos, which is what we want to do after tweaking all those wonderful parameters!

& having an FXP list would be great!  scrolling down the options menu, then to the fxp open dialogue every time I want another piano gets very tedious.  the fxp's could have their own list (in the space above the current "presets" list), or actually be added in the "presets" list, underneath the premade presets.

In this way they could also receive MIDI prog change messages, in fact numbering the presets would help to know what preset/fxp you'd be getting when using prog changes.

I haven't tried the beta version yet, so maybe some of these have already been dealt with. (maybe, hopefully!)

I'm loving the pianoteq, as are many people here, from what I've read.  I'm lucky enough to have had it given to me as a present from my brothers and sister for my 40th birthday! haha.  A very happy day indeed.

greetings,
Lukeman
the MIDI Doctor

bryan wrote:

Hi all,

My request for a future version would be some upright piano models. I love the richness of the grands, but sometimes yearn for the simple homeliness of a realistic upright piano, with all its creaks an clunks!

Oh, and while I'm here... The unison width feature is nice, but it would be even nicer if it were a bit more random across the entire range, so that when you turn it up high it sounds like an out of tune piano. Realistically, some of the notes would be less out of tune than others, rather than all the notes being equally out of tune. I hope I'm making sense!

Cheers,
Bryan.

Good sugestion about upright piano.

I would like to comment about the sound of a upright piano. Is it really so diferent compared to a Grand Piano,  or it's just the position of player related to the soundboard? 
    In a upright piano we play with our face direct near front to the soundboard. It sounds very loud and strong for the player position.  How would be if we could fit a Grand piano  in 90 degrees  to listen with the soundboard in our faces?

After played Akoustic piano software, which have a upright called Steingraeber, I didn't felt much impressed, since it hadn't  any of  the "sound in our faces", due speakers positions.  Also some upright pianos have a sound similar to Grand pianos if we disconsider the  vertical sound dissipation.

I support your idea, but for start we should choose a upright with a very distinct sound compared to a Grand, to make worth the effort.
     Pianoteq uses algorithm for several piano components. They have a algorithm for a Grand piano soundboard. For a upright they would need to develop a new algorithm for upright piano. It would take time. 

About unison, yes it could have a extra adjust, jus a button by side it, to make it more tuneless, since would change unison in less proportional way.   

It's so many suggestions..
     Pianoteq team is working hard everyday!
     We need to be patient.

The developers are working on this, but I somehow feel the need to post this request:

More than anything, I would like the ability to change the parameters on either ranges of keys or on each key individually. In other words, it would be wonderful to be able to set, for example, different levels for the various harmonics or the amplitudes of the hammer thunk differently for different ranges of keys.

Just discovered this. You can't use the fancy tunings in any diapson other than 440. If you set the diapson to, say, 438 in the basic settings then click the mu symbol to go to microtunings the diapson goes back to 440; if you're in microtunings and click the mu symbol to go back to basic (where you can control diapson) the tuning reverts to what is was before moving to microtunings.

So, I guess my feature request would be diapson that holds when you switch to microtunings.

Alex wrote:

6) Upright modelling.  Uprights have their own sound-world which is often regarded unfairly as inferior, when it is perhaps superior for certain styles of music.  It deserves perserving in the model

+1

I've not yet tried to model my own funky old upright but a preset upright to start from would be nice. Not a question of better or worse but what I'm used to--therefore what I can most easily express myself with.

doug wrote:

Just discovered this. You can't use the fancy tunings in any diapson other than 440. If you set the diapson to, say, 438 in the basic settings then click the mu symbol to go to microtunings the diapson goes back to 440; if you're in microtunings and click the mu symbol to go back to basic (where you can control diapson) the tuning reverts to what is was before moving to microtunings.

So, I guess my feature request would be diapson that holds when you switch to microtunings.

Hi doug,
you still have the solution to use a keyboard mapping file (*.kbm), see
http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/help.htm#mappings

Example: if you want to use Werckmeister III with diapason 438, then click on the mu symbol, load Werckmeister III in the scale menu and load the file below in the keymap menu after saving it with a .kbm extension : 

!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
! Template for a keyboard mapping
!
! Size of map (greater than or equal to the number of notes in the scale
! to be mapped). The pattern repeats every so many keys:
! First MIDI note number to retune:
! Last MIDI note number to retune:
! Middle note where scale degree 0 is mapped to:
! Reference note for which frequency is given:
! Frequency to tune the above note to (floating point e.g. 440.0):
! Scale degree to consider as formal octave (determines difference in pitch
! between adjacent mapping patterns):
! Mapping.
! The numbers represent scale degrees mapped to keys. The first degree is for
! the given middle note, the next for subsequent higher keys.
! For an unmapped key, put in an "x". At the end, unmapped keys may be left out.
!----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hope that helps
Philippe

Amazing what you can do when you know how.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,
I am new here.  My name is Hung Tran.  I have been playing PianoTeq about three months now, and I really love it.  Like other owners here, PianoTeq really helps me to grow for pianist musicianship aspect.  I never had a chance to own a grand piano (7'/9'), so PianoTeq is the alternative for me.

Here is my wish list for the next version of PianoTeq:

1.  More wood sound: 

I totally agree with torontobrian  (Brian) about his comment: 
                 "More wood (far more wood) in the sound." 
   The Grand C2 wood is good, how every I still feel it a little bright to me.  I did not try to tweak the EQ or cutoff... to see if I can make it darker.  However, as Beto-Music answered rented in the FXP vs. Preset post:
   "Pianoteq models are diferent in sound and in basic compositions. You can't adjust one models by moving sliders, to get the sound of other preset model." 
   I believe that we should have the dream wood model first and tweak it later.

2.  Extend the range of the bass sound:

I wish we could have the range of the bass down to C instead of A.  It is just like the Bosendorfer Imperial.  I know that the common MIDI keyboard right now does not have those extra keys.  However,  I am trying to build the MIDI controller myself, and I am designing one with extra keys.

If this could be in the next version of PianoTeq, then you guys really fulfill my dream!

I only have two in my list now.  I may have some later...

Thanks every one here, and especially for PianoTeq team.

Hung Tran

The first item on this wishlist is from another thread. Thought I should just add it to this thread to make it a formal request:

1. A slider or dropdown box that let one choose the closeness of the piano. So more wood, a different harmonic spectrum, the hammer loudness, and everything else that changes the sound as one gets closer or further from the piano. (Again, I realize that this is a big request that would require even more complex modulations than I can imagine, but once the ratios of distance to each parameter were determined for one piano, there would be a rough map to go by when creating each instrument.)  I can now create an FX file that accomplishes much of this. But not the harmonic spectrum or the way it shifts in both amplitudes and frequencies as you move towards or away from the piano.

2. The user settings could be listed on the presets dropdown: might mean that the user had to save the preset in a folder with the name of the main instrument. Then, when he or she moved the mouse pointer, off to one side would open a list of saved presets.

3. This may seem trivial, and may be impossible without memory bloat, but a notepad of  some sort would be great for each user preset: a text box at the bottom of the screen into which the reader could type notes about the various parameter settings that were changed. Would allow an ongoing log of the changes, the changes that work best with a given preset, the changes not to make, etc.  I constantly find myself opening Word or a notepad document to make lists of parameter settings, so I can recover them, or just remember what they are. (For example, to get a closer sound, I usually boost some low frequencies, but then after I make other changes, the sound is wrong. Takes some time to reverse engineer my own settings. A note pad could offer reminders.)

the idea of the notepad is very well, in Pianoteq.

My request would be, as said by Alex, an audio input, for being able to put what we want into the sympatetic resonance of Pianoteq. Maybe a violon, maybe a Onde Martenot !...

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)

usually Damper Pedal is of kind "ON-OFF", in this case may be usefull (or crazy for the cpu, and for users) to add an option that 'humanize damper on-off ' with a parameter (fast, slow time)
that does:
-on Damper OFF, decrease every 0,1 sec (or other) the value (127,95,63,31,0) until 0;
-on Damper ON , increase every 0,1 sec the current value until 127;
that means , during fast change, it simulates half pedal...

vespa wrote:

usually Damper Pedal is of kind "ON-OFF", in this case may be usefull (or crazy for the cpu, and for users) to add an option that 'humanize damper on-off ' with a parameter (fast, slow time)
that does:
-on Damper OFF, decrease every 0,1 sec (or other) the value (127,95,63,31,0) until 0;
-on Damper ON , increase every 0,1 sec the current value until 127;
that means , during fast change, it simulates half pedal...

In fact, Pianoteq's damper is variable (0 to 127, sort of) but you'll need a continuous value damper pedal to access that feature. It's worth looking for one because it's quite well implemented and a very useful expressive tool.

Your idea, though, would be a useful option for those who only have on/off pedals.

droah wrote:

As someone suggested in Northern Sound Source,it would be a good idea to have
a button to switch off the sound without affecting the rest of the parameters (ie sympathetic resonance, global resonance etc.) in Pianoteq.I am not sure if this is technically feasible.
Pianoteq is unique more for its other "accoustic piano" features rather than its sound
This way many users could improve on their other software pianos with the added features of Pianoteq.
This would be a win-win situation for all parties, including the users.

One evening after some experiments blending Pianoteq behind a sampled piano, I moved on to a sampled classical guitar - and forgot to mute the Pianoteq instrument channel in my sequencer.  What a happy accident.  No doubt the model isn't accurate for six strings on a guitar body, but Pianoteq sure gave that guitar patch a lively "acoustic" reality I'd never heard in a sampled guitar.

Well, let's see: harps of all sorts (orchestral, Celtic etc.). Acoustic steel string guitar.  Classical guitar.  Any plucked instrument for that matter...sitar! Well, maybe not sitar.

Point is that a little more configurability with a view to this type of use would truly be appreciated.  Or a separate product?  Or OEM it to EastWest for their Play engine, or...

OK, I'll stop now.

when sustain pedal is affected to a variable MIDI controller, there is no more Pedal noise.
So : Pedal noise even with variable controllers.
Then, if possible, louder when speeder . . . ?

( for imitate some kind of pianists playing hard or soft )

Ondist and Thereminist concertist and composer
Ondes Martenot, Ondéa, Thérémin, player, composer
Messiaen's Turangalîla-Symphony in Cubase with 10 VSTi (including 4 instances of Pianoteq)

cslevine wrote:

when sustain pedal is affected to a variable MIDI controller, there is no more Pedal noise.
So : Pedal noise even with variable controllers.
Then, if possible, louder when speeder . . . ?

( for imitate some kind of pianists playing hard or soft )

It's there; just turn up configuration:options:sustain pedal noise to +20 or so and you'll hear it again, and it will vary with how quickly you depress the pedal.

Pianoteq is woderful instrument . But I wish little more :
Adjustable keyboard range.
Possibility to import impulse response (wav) files in reverb section
Possibility to swich off in sound board wood body of piano , feels like Yamaha CP series pianos ,- there is strings , but not wood deck .
Possibility to adjust hammer sharp and soft attack ( it means hammers from metal to soft material ).
Possibility to remember last changes after restart software in stand alone version.
  Thank U . Sorry for my english .

1. Lessen the soundboard impedance for the lower octaves only (key-scalable). I LOVE the sustain in the upper half -- this feature alone makes PTQ feel far more realistic than most (all?) sampled pianos --, but in the bass range, it somehow sounds "larger than life", especially when played thru a PA speaker system (which would often compress things a bit). Too much of a good thing sometimes.

No idea how this could be implemented into the interface so the user could adjust it. Maybe given the many suggestions along these lines (fine-tune this, keyscale that), there could be an "expert layer" in the interface, normally hidden, where you could go for a sick and otherworldly tweak-o-rama. Or a subtle one, if you're not so extravagant.

Maybe this very property (super-solid sustain) will change with the probable introduction of a miking simulation. The current situation is still a bit like, say, a double bass amplified with a pickup instead of it being miked. Although by far not as extreme as in that example.

2. The sympathetic resonance is really fine, but it has too much of a sudden low-frequency boost to it. That's not quite like the real thing. It should come in in a softer curve. Maybe this would be different with a graded damper pedal. Unfortunately, the one I tried (CME) did not work. Maybe there could be a variable slope of the resonance envelope (synthesizer language).

3. Key scaling curves for overall volume, hammer hardness etc (related to suggestion 1). Reasons for this suggestion: a) Sometimes I would like less bass (not "thinner" but simply quieter notes in comparison with the upper range) and louder high notes. That is not the same as EQing. b) The treble, although greatly improved with the C2 model (still grateful for that!) could sometimes be yet a little softer. Cutting the treble (EQ) here would also affect lower notes. The same goes for hammer hardness.

Again, these properties will very likely be affected by a probable miking simulation.

BTW -- PTQ staff listen --, there is a miking simulation, including a distance parameter, in Apple Logic's EVB3 tonewheel organ. It may not be perfect, but it is a very useful parameter in adjusting the organ sound to certain song context requirements.

4. Randomize. In any real world piano, there are slight variations. Single notes slightly out of tune. Not all dampers coming down exactly at the same time (when releasing the damper pedal -- goes for graded pedals). Single notes with harder/softer hammers. And so on. This could be implemented in form of a "random" slider in each section, influencing the relevant parameters there.

### That's it for now. Not that I want to complain; As many others here (including myself) said: A wonderful instrument already! My suggestions are more on the subtle side.

Thanks a lot
Dominik

Hello!
I hope for next version a new preset like the piano electro-acoustic instrument Yamaha PCP 80, used a lot during '80, by Peter Gabriel for example.
I think it's possible...
Many thanks!
Alessandro.

Hello,
need audio output limiter , because , when play more loud polyphony or clusters , sound become crack , ... I understand that U wil advice make less volume , but less volume , less digital resolution , sometimes required good volume, but no cracks ,when playng ff more than 10 notes .

Voxas wrote:

Hello,
need audio output limiter , because , when play more loud polyphony or clusters , sound become crack , ... I understand that U wil advice make less volume , but less volume , less digital resolution , sometimes required good volume, but no cracks ,when playng ff more than 10 notes .

Maybe the cracks is the CPU stuttering... I have that sometimes, especially with many low notes + pedal. Sounds similar to a distortion. Does it correlate with the level meter on your computer?

BTW, resolution... PTQ obviously exports 32 bit, so I guess it also plays at 32 bit. So even if you lower the volume a lot, you still have more than 24 bit (which isn't bad these days).

Voxas wrote:

Hello,
need audio output limiter , because , when play more loud polyphony or clusters , sound become crack...

you can also reduce dynamics, this is a 'natural' compressor working at the source instead of post processing the sound, thus it does not produce any distortion, try something between 30 and 40 for example. As a result, loud sounds will be less loud and  pianissimi will become piano.

Thank U 4 explain and answer . CPU of my PC it's enough , - 4 GB RAM , Intel Quad Core 6600 , Western digital Raptor HD's with 4 ms access time, just installed XP, it's not enogh to play... , for only one stand alone plugin? I understand what U say , I just only need have 32 bit sound  , and I know that 24 bit enough ,... but everybody need to have , for what they pay ... O.K. I will make dynamics  less , maybe it will helps , but before I made , and I saw cracks overload on level indicator , this things most happens with C2 , more frequently than with C1 sounds. CPU O.K. just 12% , of one Core ... Any way , I will play softer . Forget that Question .
Other good thing to have on front panel , in reverb meniu User Reverbs , for more quickly selection of ambients , when playing on a stage with same timbre but need for different style to change only your own  user reverb preset . ( not go thru long meniu and find FXB files , load them etc... sometimes on the stage there is no time to do this job fast .  Any way thank U 4 very good software , if it will be like this it's enogh , but this is only wishes .

One more Question ....
Is it possible to make Pedal Noise sample in Pianoteq better quality , because on more loud adjustments , of pedal noise there is audible digital sound degradation in longer tails of pedal noise .

I was wondering if it would be possible to 'scale' the velocity curve (horizontal) zo if you have a keyboard that doesn't seem to 'fill' the entire velocity range and you want to use the standard 'fast keyboard' setup you can scale the curve for the highest level to be reached at velocity 100 (for instance) instead of at 127. In that case the intermediate levels will move down accordingly....

cheers
Hans

Voxas wrote:

Hello,

Hello,

I am new in this forum, and i am just checking out the trial version. I like Pianoteq so much that I am going to buy it.

During playing with the trial version, I also had the problem with cracklings when playing loud chords. When I reduce the volume by 2 or 3 dB the problem vanishes completely. I have to do this with every preset, always it is 2 or 3 dB. The output level of Pianoteq seems to be a little bit too high. Maybe I would not have this problem with another sound card. Therefore I would like to see something like a global output level setting (e.g. in the preferences menu). Then one can adjust the output level to his sound card. This has the advantage that one does not have to shift the volume slider anymore after switching from one preset to another.

Also, I would like to have more dry presets like C2 bridge. I like this the best when playing with head phones.

I confirm: the "standard" output level of Pianoteq is a bit high, you can easily go into saturation/distorsion/cracks if you play fortissimo. Tested on 4 differents souncards, no difference. Just set the output level 3 or 6 dB lower. (For those who are concerned, it will  still leave you with 31 bit resolution instead of 32, FAR more than our ears can perceive !)