Topic: Recording on Cubase

I have downloaded the Pianoteq Trial standalone and now that I have played it I  definitely want to buy the full version to use it to record on Cubase Studio 4. Am I right in thinking that the trial version can't be used for recording? I'm getting sound through the my speakers via Focusrite Saffire but it's not getting through to Cubase.

Before I buy it I need to know that I will be able to use it for recording, so if the trial version is supposed to work with Cubase can someone advise me, please? Sorry if it's a stupid question but I'm quite new to recording on the computer so the answer might be something quite simple.

Re: Recording on Cubase

If the trial version is the standalone version, it won't go through to Cubase--there's no connection between the two programs.

But the VSTI version will work fine in Cubase. (Steinberg, the company that makes Cubase, developed the VST\VSTI platform, so any VSTI must be coded to their specifications. We would see many, many complaints in this forum if PianoTeq didn't work in Cubase.)

In case I misunderstood, and you have a demo VSTI version that you can't get to work in Cubase:

In Cubase, once you have the VSTI loaded and turned on, are you sure you have the track armed, monitoring on, that the track is attached to the correct channel, and with the right midi in and audio out sources? (When I used Cubase, I always forgot to check on the far left side of the screen for the midi in and audio out.) When you press a key on your midi keyboard, is there any indication of midi activity? Did you try opening and closing your sound card control panel? (For reasons I don't understand, my sound card sometimes just goes to sleep. I have to open and close its control panel, without making any changes, to wake it up. Not a PianoTeq issue--it happens about a once a week, and while I use any vsti.)

You might try unloading PianoTeq and loading another VSTI to the same track to see if it plays. That will tell you if the problem is with PianoTeq or something in your setup.

Also try creating an entirely new project with no template, instead of loading your default project, where settings may get established, based on some previous project you created, that you have forgotten.

Hope all of this helps. Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Jake Johnson (11-10-2007 18:01)

Thanks. I thought that would be the case. My version is the standalone so I thought it probably wouldn't work with Cubase. Your reply will be useful to me anyway in case I get any problems when I try to use the VST version.

Now that is settled I will go ahead and buy Pianoteq - it sounds brilliant.

Thanks again

Note that the initial release of pianoteq 2.2.0 trial for windows had a bug which prevented the VST and RTAS plugin from loading correctly. It has been fixed a few days ago, so you may want to re-install the pianoteq trial.