Topic: New Piano in Town?

Completely off topic, but interesting I think:

Before Ignaz Bosendorfer started his own company, he apprenticed under Joseph Brodmann, then started his own piano company, and later bought the Brodmann company.

AFIK, Bosendorfer only ever made Bosendorfer pianos.

From what I've gleaned, a few years ago, the Bosendorfer company was working on a prototype of a new piano that would enter in a somewhat lower market than current Bosendorfers (very rarified atmosphere).  The owner (the bank) shut down this endeavour, and five employees that were involved in the new piano bought the line from the bank.  The line was to be called the Brodmann (I suppose in honour of the originator).

At present, the Brodmann is available in several sizes.  Today I tiddled on a six foot plus model.  Beautifully finished and seemingly very well made.  The soundboard is of a well known German make (used also by Steinways), the action is English (can't recall the name, but even requiring regulation it seemed very nice to me).  The hammers are made by another well known German hammer maker and so on.

The pieces are put together in guess where - of course - China.

It comes from the factory requiring tuning (they all do), and voicing (not unusual anymore).

My piano restorer friend I've mentioned here a few times is a dealer - his first arrived two days ago.  Now it gets interesting - the new price for a comparable Yamaha C3 is about $38,000 CAD, while the new price of the Brodmann is $18,000.

I looked over this piano carefully - it is very well finished.  The underside of the frame (harp) is smoothly finished (like the two older Steinways he has in his showroom).  The soundboard has the name of the German maker on it and looks very nice (looked like Strunz - perhaps someone will know it).  Incidentally, the fit of the soundboard to the rimboard is very good.  Some makers put a strip of wood to hide a poor joint - these guy don't have to.

One of the most interesting features (to me) is the end - it's squared off - which increases the size and area of the soundboard quite a bit.  Interestingly, the Fazioli pianos, and the Boston (Steinway) have squarish tails too (all three pianos are of newer design).

If I was in the market for a grand, I'd look at this very seriously.

Comments from our illustrious former piano technician on this piano would be welcome and knowledgeable.

Glenn

Last edited by Glenn NK (12-02-2010 03:48)